Talk

Advanced search

Electric Key Meter, How expensive to remove???

(8 Posts)
Tigger13 Thu 21-Aug-08 20:32:06

Hi

I am moving house 2m and just found out the house is fitted with a electric key meter which I know are very expensive to use and run.

Will I have to pay to get it removed?? I have good credit rating etc

Really appreciate any advise whole house moving thing has been a nightmare!!!

MarkStretch Thu 21-Aug-08 20:33:26

If you are a new tenant I believe they remove them for free as it wasn't your choice to have it installed.

If not then I think it's about £50.

That's what NPower quoted us anyway.

DaisySteiner Thu 21-Aug-08 20:33:39

We didn't when we moved here a few years ago, just phoned up our current electricity provider and asked them to remove it.

MarkStretch Thu 21-Aug-08 20:34:36

We have still got a key meter (have been too lazy to get it removed) and I don't think it's much more expensive TBH.

Tigger13 Thu 21-Aug-08 21:43:55

Thank you so much for all your speedy replies, feel a bit calmer now hmm

If I ever move house again I will need shooting.

Fizzylemonade Fri 22-Aug-08 18:49:25

Keymeters ARE more expensive, I used to work for npower and it is the most expensive way to pay for your electric (monthly direct debit being the cheapest as you usually get a discount)

You can arrange for the meter to be changed for free it shouldn't cost you anything as it is really a "choice" of how you pay for your electric.

Find out EXACTLY what you have to do to get credit on the meter.

In npower's geographic area - the midlands, you would go to a shop, details available from the electricity company, get a new card put some money on it and then put that into the meter. Whatever you do do not use the last person's key even if they leave it for you as you could end up contributing credit towards their debt if they had one.

A new customer card registers you and your money against your account and clears any debt or credit of the previous person.

Good luck with the move!

Lizzzombie Fri 22-Aug-08 18:57:55

We moved in to our house in may last year, and used key meters until July this year. We didn't find them TOO bad, it helped us budget bills etc. British Gas removed both meters free of charge and fitted us with normal ones. So far we have only had one bill which was more £ than I was expecting, but I know its the same proce each month so it evens out over the winter months I guess. hth.

Tigger13 Thu 28-Aug-08 22:00:27

Thanks for all the messages. House we bought is out in the sticks so me being disorganized a key meter would lead to some cold dark evenings smile

Rang old company yesterday they identified who owned the meter rang them and new meter being installed tomorrow pm and key meter being removed (hopefully) All free of charge and they even credit back the money we have put on key!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now