Talk

Advanced search

Fireplaces - need some "decor" advice please

(8 Posts)
champagneSuperBunting Mon 18-Aug-08 18:59:54

Have recently moved and am very lucky to have proper fireplaces in playroom, sitting room and our bedroom
Two questions:
1 - is it really dull to just put mirrors over fireplaces in all 3 rooms?
2 - what can I put in the fireplace other than erm, a fire? Dried flowers too naff, methinks but looking for some inspiration.

NickiSue Mon 18-Aug-08 19:05:01

I'm watching this with interest. I have a fireless fireplace in my lounge which is crying out for something in it but nothing found as yet.
I've looked at driftwood, flowers, a gong (!), vases, all sorts with nothing quite hitting the spot. Hope you find something!

SoupDragon Mon 18-Aug-08 19:10:27

One of these?

get a big silver tray. put loads of differeent size white candles on it. when (if) you light them it adds a lot of warmth to the room (My MIL calls it our central heating!)

hermykne Mon 18-Aug-08 19:15:11

champagne
laura ashley starburst mirror looks fab on any wall and would look great over a fireplace
how about pictures in tripdych - ie three of them over the mantel

or three mirrors of equal size

or two striking vases and lots of frames placed between, tall flowers in the vase (dried /real if fake good ones!) and that will distract ones eye from the firepit.

nothing wrong with grates, i feel if you put something in it you are drawing attention to it.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 18-Aug-08 19:17:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twinnylinnie Wed 10-Sep-08 15:27:56

Make a fire screen and paste random photocopies of your kids, people you love holiday photos etc, keep them monochrome, it sounds naff but looks really good and is a great talking point.

MutantSpaceGoat Wed 10-Sep-08 15:30:26

shock @ shykids. that is beyond creepy. makes those reborn dolls look positively heart warming

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now