Talk

Advanced search

what colour is your house? is it the same as your neighbours? does it look nice?

(11 Posts)
hatwoman Fri 15-Aug-08 20:18:18

links to lovely colours would be good. as would opinions re semis and whether they look best the same.

moshie Sat 16-Aug-08 15:44:46

Ours is Cornish Cream, looks lovely. The neighbours (semi-detatched) liked it so much they did theirs the same, but it was fine when they were still different colours.
I would have linked to it but the one I found looked totally different, it's a creamy yellow.

hatwoman Sat 16-Aug-08 21:28:32

and what about doors?

Pannacotta Sat 16-Aug-08 22:48:25

How old is your house hatwoman?
Presume its rendered? Are other houses on the same street painted or plain brick?

hatwoman Sat 16-Aug-08 23:49:48

a mixture - ours and the adjoining semi and 4 detached are vitorian semis. up the road we have brick victorian terraces. across the road are mainly 50s/60s semis.

tigana Sat 16-Aug-08 23:52:09

We are mid-terrace. One side is sort of peachy with mid-blue detail, other side is white with black, we are sort of pale caramel-cream with dark blue.

Also nearby is a blue house, a pink house and a mauve house.

(is not Balamory...honest)

ChippyMinton Sat 16-Aug-08 23:56:19

Both have cream, virtually the same shade, one is magnolia. We have deep green doors, next door is a lighter heritage/national trust green, which they picked to go with ours. The pair look smart, i think.

Pannacotta Sun 17-Aug-08 10:47:47

I think Victorian houses look best painted in quite serious colours with some black tint in them, rather than pastel based as these can look a bit ice cream-y if that makse sense?
Eg stone, grey, dark green, brown etc.
There is a road near me which has a row of old houses, one is painted stone with white windows, one is dark green with black windows and another is grey with dark windows.
Doors again look good in dark serious colours, eg dark blue, black, really dark purple etc. Farrow and Ball have some great colours for doors, Hague Blue, Black Blue, Brinjal off the top of my head.

Pannacotta Sun 17-Aug-08 10:53:14

Some info here
www.victorian-society.org.uk/Homeowner/4899/paint_colours_and_finishes.html

Pannacotta Sun 17-Aug-08 10:56:03

And here too
terracedhouses.co.uk/index5-paint.html

hatwoman Sun 17-Aug-08 11:22:03

thanks pannacotta - ours are currently a bit yellowy and I don;t really like it (though that's not why we're getting it done - we're getting it done becuase it needs it iyswim). the house down the road has been done in a light stoney colour and I do like it. don't want to go identical though. we're thinking of a grey-ish off white-ish cream

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now