Talk

Advanced search

Please come and talk to me about the HIP.

(7 Posts)
citronella Fri 15-Aug-08 14:22:04

Is it a nightmare getting it together and where do we start?
Estate Agent says they have someone who can do it for £300! Is that a rip off?

SomeLikeItHot Sat 16-Aug-08 13:02:35

We had ours done last month and it cost £300. Estate agent contacted HIP people then someone phones you and arranges comes to your house and takes notes and photos of your electric, gas meters and thermostats etc!!! Then they look in your loft, ask you how old your house is and thats it! Whole thing takes about 20 mins. hmm

Tigger13 Sat 16-Aug-08 14:13:06

I paid £450 for mine a yr ago, estate agent sorted, haven't even seen it. Biggest waste of money ever! Searches out of date after 6months so had to be re-done by buyer and you have to complete b4 they expire after 12months. Bloomin annoying that compulsory,angry made nothing to do with trying to move easier IMO!!!

Seabright Mon 18-Aug-08 22:40:58

Yes, they're a rip off. I'm a property lawyer and see them on most houses now. The only bit I place any reliance on is the Drainage and Water search as estate agents and sellers always get the cheap option local authority search (a personal search) which I (and most lenders) will not rely on.

They are actually delaying sales in quite a few cases.

Incidentally, they cost from £350 upwards and the maximum fine that Trading Standards can impose is you don't have one is £250....

cthea Mon 18-Aug-08 22:43:00

Ours was £320. Made for interesting read (DH reports) but didn't do anything for the sale so far. Very easy to arrange via estate agent.

cthea Mon 18-Aug-08 22:44:04

Seabright - I thought they were compulsory? Our estate agents wouldn't take the instruction without the HIP appointment made and paid for. Also, if you get fined £250 and then have to pay for one anyway, it's not too good either.

mypandasgotcrabs Mon 18-Aug-08 22:48:15

Ours was arranged through the agent, cost just over £415 IIRC, all it showed was the energy efficiency of hte house. Had 2 charts, similar to those you get on new kitchen appliances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now