Talk

Advanced search

Calling curtain experts

(6 Posts)
jalopy Tue 12-Aug-08 10:33:55

I want to buy curtains for our sitting room. There are no existing curtains or poles at present.

Due to drafty house and prospect of huge winter bills I need to insulate the windows. The style of house has large edwardian french doors with a window on either side.

Can't decide whether I should use pleat and rings, tabs or eyelet fittings. The curtains will be heavy and have linings. What would be the best option.

Have looked on the John Lewis for curtain guidelines but daunted by the challenge. Very expensive to make any mistakes.

All advice welcome.

Ikea curtains are plenty long enough and you can hem them yourelf.

Lilymaid Tue 12-Aug-08 10:39:38

Depends on the material you are using and the effect you want to make - tabs or eyelets probably not so good for traditional look, pleats are not so good for modern look. For extra insulation you can interline curtains - though is a step too far for my pocket or curtain making expertise. What is most important is that the curtain rail/pole is very firmly fixed to the wall as the curtains will be very heavy.

Pannacotta Tue 12-Aug-08 13:51:37

I would choose a heading such as goblet, pinch pleat or box heading which are all very smart/elegant and good for long heavy curtains. I'd have the curtains lined and then interlined with thermal interlining, which is pricey but really helps keep the warmth in.
I'd always suggest using a professional curtain maker for such a project (rather than John Lewis who sub-contract it out and charge a big mark up).
They can help you decide on headings and measure up and many will have a fitter to put up poles as well as curtains.
You could try looking in your local library for curtain books for ideas.
Some basic info here
www.alternative-windows.com/curtain-headings.htm
HTH

jalopy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:14:16

Thank you so much for your replies.

Thanks for the info, Panna.

JillJ72 Thu 14-Aug-08 12:51:30

Another tip for curtain poles, esp in an older house - glue and screw a baton (length of wood) into the wall and then screw the curtain pole into that.

We have Ikea curtains, limited budget, and they are lined (but not thermally lined!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now