Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rubber floor tiles - any good?

(8 Posts)
midnightexpress Thu 07-Aug-08 09:40:27

We're revamping our kitchen, as cheaply as possible and I've found a company that does rubber stud tiling floors at a reasonable price. Has anyone got this kind of floor, and would you recommend it? How easy is it to clean? And, most importantly, is it possible to install it yourself (reasonable DIY skills) or does it really require a proper fitter?

Thanks for any info.

midnightexpress Thu 07-Aug-08 09:58:51

witchandchips Thu 07-Aug-08 10:01:13

we have rubber flooring and can't recommend it enough, easy to clean, good for dcs to play on + feels warm on bare feet. I would get a professional fitter though because you really need it to lie completely flat + not buckle

midnightexpress Thu 07-Aug-08 10:05:51

Thanks W&C - warm is definitely good as we live in a quite chilly basement flat, so that's part of the appeal. Did you have to have a special sub-floor laid, like a screed? I am not sure what lies beneath the lino yet, but I think it's probably chipboard - do you know if rubber can be laid straight onto that?

witchandchips Thu 07-Aug-08 10:08:41

am not sure as we had a new floor anyway as new kitchen was two rooms knocked together than were on different levels. I remember the builders spending ages and ages trying to get it as flat as possible though

Molecule Thu 07-Aug-08 10:09:38

I've never had experience of rubber as a flooring, but was involved in rubber manufacturing for a number of years, and knowing all its inherent weaknesses would never contemplate it as a kitchen floor.

Firstly, most rubber hates oils/fats and if you spill any and do not wipe up immediately they will leave a mark/cause blistering. The rubbers which will withstand these are silicone (very expensive and not hard-wearing)and nitrile.

Secondly, most rubbers do not particularly like water and become hydroscopic, i.e. will absorb water and start to bubble up. The rubber which is best with water is hypalon, but this does not like oils.

Kitchen rubber gloves wear out quickly caused by the degradation of the rubber when exposed to water and fats.

Thirdly, I imagine that the glossy finish will soon wear off and you will be able to see where you spend most time in the kitchen.

Your flooring manufacturer may be able to tell you of the great technological advances in rubber manufacturing that have take place in the past few years since I have been out of the industry, but do ask what type of rubber it is, and what its properties are.

midnightexpress Thu 07-Aug-08 10:13:40

Oh blimey, thanks Molecule. Will investigate further....

Molecule Thu 07-Aug-08 10:14:41

As you can see, so many years in the industry have given me a decidedly negative view of rubber. It will certainly be warm and gentle on the feet, and probably more user-friendly than my stone floor, which is cold, hard (nothing survives a drop) and a b to clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now