Talk

Advanced search

Would you accept another offer on your house from the buyers that offered over a month ago and messed you about for 6 weeks and withdrew from the sale?

(22 Posts)
Oliveoil Wed 06-Aug-08 10:52:21

Brief history:

house on market for 2 weeks
had offer
they faffed about for about 6 weeks, had mortgage, didn't, had, didn't etc etc
vanished off thhe face of the earth

so we knocked off 10%

2 weeeks later receive another offer from the pissabouters

a lower one

agent thinks they may mess us about again but due to market conditions yadda yadda

agggrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am going to pop with stress

so do we accept and then be on pins for months waiting for them to pull out?

or what

beansprout Wed 06-Aug-08 10:53:27

Have they got a mortgage this time? Can they show you that they are in a better position this time?

Oliveoil Wed 06-Aug-08 10:56:08

they 'had' a mortgage in May, same as they 'have' a mortgage now hmm

we had a fabbo viewing on Monday from a dead cert who is still viewing others

agent says we can accept this offer from pissabouters and then still have house on market and viewings etc

LilRedWG Wed 06-Aug-08 10:56:24

Hmm - can you impose a date for proof of mortgage/intent?

Personally, I'd by inclined to accept their offer but tell them that you will not be taking the house off the market until they have fully committed - and that if you get another/better offer you will accept it. If they really want it, then this may be enough to spur them into action. (Is this legal?)

LilRedWG Wed 06-Aug-08 10:56:54

X-posts. Accept and then dump them as necessary. wink

blondehelen Wed 06-Aug-08 10:57:00

You could accept the offer but with the proviso that your house stays on the market until they are in a position to proceed. We were messed around in the same way by the people we were buying from and in the end pulled out so know where you are coming from!

notwavingjustironing Wed 06-Aug-08 10:57:08

If your other viewers make an offer, tell them both that the one who can complete the quickest will get it!

Oliveoil Wed 06-Aug-08 10:58:14

I hate this shit

am sat at work with my head made of blamonge (sp??)

Kewcumber Wed 06-Aug-08 10:58:36

agree, tell hem you won;t take the property off the market until you've exchanged.

Oliveoil Wed 06-Aug-08 11:00:08

are you allowed to accept an offer and they pull out if a better one comes along?

(am waiting for agent to call me back so will obv check with her but MN is usually the font of all knowledge!)

Oliveoil Wed 06-Aug-08 11:00:33

then

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Wed 06-Aug-08 11:03:33

If you can't keep it on until exchange at least wait until your solicitor has proof of their mortgage offer.

Mtg offers will only be produced once credit scoring and valuation has been carried out.

JT Wed 06-Aug-08 11:04:13

yes you are, gazumping still goes on.

sounds to me like they pulled out perhaps getting a hint that the market was taking a downturn. did they make a lower offer that you refused the first time?

in any case I agree with others - accept but with no guarantees and tell the agent not to put 'under offer' on the details or tell other prospective viewers, it puts people off. you could get all huffy and say no but that leaves you in a position you don't want to be in.

Kewcumber Wed 06-Aug-08 11:16:34

I'm normally very anti-agzumping but I think in a situation like this where someone has already dropped out once then its fine provided you tell them that you will accept another offer if they can exchange quicker.

I would hold out longer than mortgage offer though. I would keep marketing until solicitors say they are on the verge of exchanging.

LilRedWG Wed 06-Aug-08 11:18:01

Kewcomber has just said exactly what I was about to type. Normally I pour scorn and evil Paddington Bear stares on gazumpers, but in this case, as long as you are upfront with them, I'd say GO FOR IT!

Oliveoil Wed 06-Aug-08 11:40:10

agent is going to accept offer and say we will still do viewings etc and tell them that "the vendors are apprehensive after the delay last time"

agent speak for "don't piss us about again sunshine"

I am still going to think that the house is unsold until I hand my keys over sad

twinsetandpearls Wed 06-Aug-08 11:45:53

Same as olive oil

Oliveoil Thu 07-Aug-08 11:04:55

UPDATE

Fabbo viewers from Monday have now put in an offer!

lower than the pissabouters but I think we are going to go with fabbo as they seem a surer bet

money keeps getting chipped off my house left right and centre sad

their offer was way too low, have told agent a higher figure, will see what happens

<<frets>>

Kewcumber Thu 07-Aug-08 11:16:42

can't you tell tehm that you've had a higher offer and if they can match it you'll take their offer? Its worth a go, all they can say is "no this is our best offer"

Swedes Thu 07-Aug-08 11:20:08

Oliveoil - Make sure both parties know about the other party waiting in the wings. It will make them less likely to muck about and try for any further reductions after the survey etc. It's worth a try to get the new buyers to match the offer that is on the table, isn't it?

Oliveoil Thu 07-Aug-08 11:21:51

agent reckons the pissabouters are just that

I would rather go lower for a sure bet then be let down again in 3 months time with a fictious higher offer

have told agent that £XXXX is our bottom line, take it or leave it

she is going to phone me back

JT Fri 08-Aug-08 12:11:13

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now