Advanced search

Anyone who's sold their property recently? Electrical certificates

(8 Posts)
RambleOn Tue 05-Aug-08 20:27:13

Can anyone tell me about the certificates required for electrical work, etc.

Say, hypothetically wink, that we had done lots of electrical work in the four years we have lived in our property. And we did the work ourselves and have no electricians certificates for the work.

What will happen when the house is ready to sell, sometime in the next month or so?

Will we HAVE to get it inspected? Or is there any possibility of not declaring it?

TheBlonde Wed 06-Aug-08 15:44:40

Just don't declare it
Just don't have to say when work was done or who by

LIZS Wed 06-Aug-08 15:48:16

You will be asked on the enquiries questionnaire and obliged to respond . I don't think you need produce certificates though.

ConnorTraceptive Wed 06-Aug-08 15:55:44

You don't have to have a certificate for work done but buyers may request an electrical survey.

Our buyer had an electrical survey done which he paid for.

ELR Wed 06-Aug-08 16:06:28

we just ticket box saying no certs its upto buyer to check if they want

OneLieIn Wed 06-Aug-08 16:12:41

You will have to declare it on the property information form as you are specifically asked about the work that has been done. This is a legally binding document, so I wouldn't bluff through it. You can say you don't have a certificate on the form. If you want to do it properly, you will need to get it inspected.

GrapefruitMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 17:25:14

I think it depends.... for example, if you had an extension built for which you needed building regs approval, you would not now get the approval unless you had the certs for any electrical work done. This might cause problems with the sale in that the buyer might want you to take out indemnity insurance. But if the house was rewired at some stage in the past (which might have been before the rules changed wink) then you would probably be ok...

Seabright Sun 10-Aug-08 16:21:19

Don't lie on your forms, as has been said they are legally binding. The Building Regs changed in the last couple of years and you (the householder) can no longer do electrical work in the bathroom, kitchen or outdoors. You have to get it done by a qualified electrician who will give you a "Part P Certificate".

If you don't have this your buyers will ask you to pay for indemnity insurance as the local authority can take enforcement action against a householder if works have been carried out which don't comply with building regs, even if they didn't do the work & it was done by a previous owner.

The insurance cost varies on the value of the house. A couple of hundred quid at most for a "normal" house

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: