Talk

Advanced search

How do you know if there's a preservation order on a tree?

(12 Posts)
MrsMuddle Sun 03-Aug-08 22:50:11

We have a huge tree in the garden that's blocking light into our home and our neighbour's garden. It towers over the house, and if it fell down it would land on the house.

Every year, a Traveller comes and cuts the other trees, so I've asked him to cut the big tree down. He's happy to do it as long as there's not a TPO on it.

How do I find out if there is? I don't live in a conservation area or listed building or anything, and the tree is completely in my grounds.

AlienEars Sun 03-Aug-08 22:55:48

Ring your local council - or it might be listed on your deeds.

lou031205 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:57:45

Local council will have a database.

Jampot Mon 04-Aug-08 10:49:47

this happened to a woman I used to work with. She wanted a tree in her front garden lopped but thought she should check if there was a TPO on it. She called the Council who came and said there wasnt but then slapped one on it. she was livid! So, see if you can search without alerting the officials

Stephen99 Mon 04-Aug-08 10:53:09

do not cut trees down

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Aug-08 10:53:58

The local council will have a database hmm not to sure that councils are that forward in thier organisation grin

Try the local library, they will know where lists of such things are kept and if not will find the list for you.

Just dont give your address and make out it is another tree you are interested in if needs be wink

TillyScoutsmum Mon 04-Aug-08 10:55:02

You have to do it via your local planning department but at lot of them have on line databases you can search (so you don't have to "speak" to anyone and potentially alert them to it)

LadyMuck Mon 04-Aug-08 10:55:30

If you look on your council website you should find the number of the relevant department. In mine it is part of the planning department. They look up a database so the chance of them coming round to look atyour tree and slapping a TPO on it is pretty slim unless they are very underworked.

Seeline Mon 04-Aug-08 10:56:10

Having worked in a planning department, ring your local council. The planning department will have the appropriate records. You may be able to visit the offices, and do the search yourself. Even if it has aTPO you can make an application ofr work to be carried out. The tree officer should be able to advise you. A good prune may make it safer, but a genuine risk to your property sould be sufficient grounds to fell it.

MrsMuddle Mon 04-Aug-08 19:17:05

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to alert the council in case Jampot's scenario happened. It's not a particularly old or beautiful tree so I can't imagine that there is a TPO on it.

Stephen99, if I don't get it cut down, it's likely to either crash down on our roof someday, or lift the house up with its roots. It's an really inappropriate size for it its position.

dilemma456 Tue 05-Aug-08 07:47:29

Message withdrawn

Seabright Sun 10-Aug-08 16:23:58

Don't prune it without finding out if it has a TPO on - TPO's prevent ANY work on trees, not just felling.

And felling/pruning without consent is a criminal offence. If it has a TPO on you make an application to do the work in a similar way to making a planning application.

Don't risk it! (I am speaking as a tree-hugger and a property lawyer!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now