Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can we brick up and internal door?

(5 Posts)
jojosmaman Sun 03-Aug-08 21:33:42

We would like to refit our bathroom but at the moment the separate shower area is very narrow as it had to fit in to a small alcove area. This is because the bathroom was exteneded at some point with a two storey extension and has two door ways, the main original door from the landing and then another on the other side which leads into the study but is never used (as the study has access via a stairway from the kitchen). So in order to make better use of the space can we block up this door and do you think it would be wise? Would we need planning permission?
Thanks!

KatyMac Sun 03-Aug-08 21:35:24

No planning permission
No Building regulations
Generally easy to do but may take a professional to plaster it afterwards

Backgammon Sun 03-Aug-08 21:35:58

Sounds like a good idea. The previous owners in our hous bricked over a door in the lounger, I'm sure you don't need planning permission to do that. As long as it's not listed it shouldn't be a problem to do I think.

ilovemydog Sun 03-Aug-08 21:41:55

we recently went through a 'do we need building regs for this?'

Go to your council's web site and they should have under the planning department, what needs building regs and what doesn't.

Ugh, we had a nightmare where we knocked through the wall between kitchen and dining room and thought it was a supporting wall. The builders had demolished most of the wall, and there was this really scary moment when we thought everything was about to come through the ceiling! shock

jojosmaman Sun 03-Aug-08 22:03:19

Thanks for advice! Not listed so should be ok then (although dp has just informed me that he "likes that door!" hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now