Talk

Advanced search

When re-wiring, how do you plan how many/location of sockets?

(13 Posts)
Pannacotta Tue 29-Jul-08 20:53:05

We haven't really worked out where our furniture will go, and are not sure about the DSs bedrooms yet (ir who will get which), so it's a bit hard to plan the number and exact position of sockets, which I need to do before getting quotes.
I am thinking of 4 doubles in each main room (reception and bedrooms), but am really not sure about positions, also how many we need in the landing/hall etc.
We may have bookcases etc built in to some alcoves, where would you have sockets if you were doing this, should they go just outside the alcove? Cant quite get my head round electrics...
Any advice much appreciated!

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 29-Jul-08 20:59:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anna8888 Tue 29-Jul-08 21:03:02

You draw a floor plan with all the furniture in place and then plan the sockets/light fittings. Am doing this at the moment for a very small studio apartment we are renovating and it's much harder than for a large house - you have to get it exactly right.

busywheels Tue 29-Jul-08 21:04:51

When we had our house rewired, the builder advised that you always need more sockets than you think (and he was right). We went for four double sockets in each living room and most of the bedrooms, placed towards the corner of each room. We had lived in the house for a couple of years, so had a good idea where the furniture would go. I suggest it is a good idea to try to place furniture so you can hide wires and sockets away a bit and avoid trailing leads. In hall and landing we have a double socket in each, but only ever used for the hoover so plenty.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 29-Jul-08 21:05:20

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 29-Jul-08 21:06:19

Pannacotta Tue 29-Jul-08 21:06:57

I did do floor plans for the last house, but am finding it harder this time round as we are really unsure about furniture - and Xmas trees! - at the mo.
Re adding sockets to corners, did you do them inside or outside alcoves in your sitting room Malory?
Suppose I'll have to cater for all eventualities...

Pannacotta Tue 29-Jul-08 21:08:10

10 sockets just in your hall, how big is it?!

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 29-Jul-08 21:09:03

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 29-Jul-08 21:10:23

Pannacotta Tue 29-Jul-08 21:34:02

Thanks Malory, our hall is also v long, (think its more than 30 ft) but wasnt planning that many sockets! Perhaps should have a re-think.

mckenzie Tue 29-Jul-08 21:39:57

we invested in a room designer type lady when we did our building work as the back of our house was all to be open plan-ish (lounge, kitchen, dining area, play area) and we wanted to make sure the layout was correct. She adviced what furniture, where to put it and where we needed to put plug sockets.

It was some of the best £££ we spent. There is nothing we don't like about the layout in that area.

Is that an option for you?

Pannacotta Tue 29-Jul-08 22:12:03

mckenzie, great idea but I actually do design/styling type work so that isn't really an option! (not that I usually advise on utilites)
Think the problem is that we have two young and very active DSs of 3 and 1 and I am a SAHM at the mo, so dont have time/energy/inclination to focus on the house and what needs doing/planning.
Also the house is much bigger and more run down than any of our previous houses (and than any projects I have worked on) so am a bit daunted by it all.
Thanks for the suggestion though. Think I will just have to make time to plan properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now