Talk

Advanced search

Cast Iron or Reinforced Acrylic bath?

(7 Posts)
toddlerhip Tue 29-Jul-08 17:51:33

Hi, anyone got any views on which is better when buying a bath - cast iron or reinforced acrylic?

RubySlippers Tue 29-Jul-08 17:53:17

cast iron heavier and more expensive

i have just done my bathroom and gone for acrylic - tis all fine

TurkeyLurkey Tue 29-Jul-08 17:53:43

Hi there. We used to have an old cast iron bath and the one thing I'd say is that the water seemed to lose heat very quickly. We now have an acrylic one that looks old (on feet) and its faberoonie!

You have to watch what cleaning products you use on the cast iron sort too, if you use the wrong sort you can end up fetching the enamel off.

moondog Tue 29-Jul-08 17:54:57

I am utter snob but have acrylic one also on feet and yes, tis nice .

mankymummy Tue 29-Jul-08 17:55:08

i have a rolltop cast iron bath and the water stays hot for ages.

beware though they are very heavy, took 6 men to carry mine into the house and I had to have the joists reinforced to hold the weight.

i think a cast iron one looks much more authentic if you are going for a period feel.

toddlerhip Tue 29-Jul-08 22:33:42

We're not having feet so the look isn't the issue. And it would have to go up 3 flights of narrow curving stair. So after what you've all said i think we're going acrylic. Thanks all!

MarmadukeScarlet Tue 29-Jul-08 22:39:59

I have an idealcast Ideal Standard bath, it is super hard resin/mineral composite and doesn't flex like some acrylic baths can.

Weighs almost as much as a cast iron bath and is just a solid, didn't have to have joists reinforced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now