Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a real wood floor in your kitchen?

(15 Posts)
playdoh Mon 28-Jul-08 19:44:41

Would you recommend it?

maidamess Mon 28-Jul-08 19:47:32

Yes I have <<cough>> solid oak hand scraped flooring form B&Q.
I was in a turmoil about kitchen flooring as I thought if it floods it will get wrecked. But my washing machine is in my utilty now so that problems gone.

expatinscotland Mon 28-Jul-08 19:49:06

yes. it's original, too, about 106 years old.

it's got these awful grooves in it that are a bitch to clean - you have to use the crevice tool on the hoover.

madcol Mon 28-Jul-08 19:55:22

Yes I have ; No I wouldn't recommned it. Food gets stuck in the grooves; water is a nightmare and Moths breed in between the planks.

Madlentileater Mon 28-Jul-08 19:56:41

me too expat....but....I just leave the crud in the cracks blush we stripped it ourselves I think I would fill the gaps next time.

alittleteapot Mon 28-Jul-08 20:06:08

Yes, stripped original boards. We filled the gaps with mastik (sp?) so nothing gets stuck in cracks. Cleans really easily but 6 years on the varnish is very worn so it looks a bit tatty and probably has done for a good couple of years. I like it but mainly cos I just really like stripped boards. Honestly stone or lino would probably be easier maintenancewise.

playdoh Mon 28-Jul-08 22:24:20

Would these problems be the same with the wood flooring you lay yourself? (not original boards)

Twinklemegan Mon 28-Jul-08 22:32:12

Yes, but only because we can't yet afford to replace the disgusting vinyl we had to rip up.

Would I recommend it. No - not practical in a kitchen.

Madlentileater Mon 28-Jul-08 22:33:48

would depend how good you are at that sort of job I imagine, plus qulaity of boards. Am generally in favour of smooth floors for reasons of allergies and general cleanliness (my floor may be dirty but at least you can clean it.) Proper lino is very nice, expensive but lovely, durable and not made w ith horrid chemicals.

playdoh Tue 29-Jul-08 07:18:47

Thanks for advice everyone. I think the general concensus is no then, my decision is made. I love the look of wood but have enough work to do cleaning up after 2 DC without any extra work. Tiles or lino to investigate now!

Chocolateteapot Tue 29-Jul-08 08:04:38

We have one, but boards laid on top of existing floor . No gaps, very easy to clean and is looking good two years down the line. But will be up the creek if there is a flood I guess.

LIZS Tue 29-Jul-08 08:50:00

We do and agree it is n't the most practical tbh .

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Jul-08 08:52:04

I have oak in the kitchen - T&G boards so there aren't big gaps. Have had it for 2 years and it has been just fine

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 08:55:58

we have just chosen the floor for the hall and kitchen in the new house and after much soulsearching have gone for oak laminate instead of solid oak, mostly after putting some test planks down in the playroom to see how they looked after serious bashing.
The laminate doesn't look quite as nice, or feel quite as warm and woody underfoot, but it takes the ravages of paint / sick / tricylces much better and the smooth surface means it;s easier to sweep.

Cies Tue 29-Jul-08 09:08:59

My parents' house has solid elm flooring. I'd say there are small gaps between the planks, but they're not particularly hygenic people, so with a sweep and mop once a week there's no problem! I think if you're more into keeping things clean I'd go for a different flooring. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now