Talk

Advanced search

soundproofing... does it work????

(6 Posts)
sunshine185 Mon 28-Jul-08 18:26:11

hi, we moved into a converted 1800's villa in london in may...

above our bedroom is our neighbours living/kitchen room, hardwood floors and every step is like a hammer through our heads esp at night as she's a night owl and is quite social so lots of guests walking around! we can also hear her tv, music, chatting...

anyway, we are thinking of getting our ceiling soundproofed, it's very pricey... but just wondered if anyone has experience of soundproofing and IF IT WORKS??? in particular reducing down or eliminating the sound of walking??

thanks

Whizzz Mon 28-Jul-08 18:26:41

Eh? Can't hear you

mablemurple Mon 28-Jul-08 18:36:15

When we had noisy neighbours many years ago we investigated soundproofing our house, only to be told that it is only effective if the noisy people soundproof their house. We didn't take it any further, (we moved in the end) so I don't know how true that is, but it would be awful if you spent a shed load of money only for it to be totally wasted.
Have you looked at your lease - I believe it is quite common for leasehold flats to have clauses that specifically prohibit hardwood flooring.
Sorry you are going through this.

CarGirl Mon 28-Jul-08 18:38:12

can you switch rooms around so your living room is under hers?

sunshine185 Mon 28-Jul-08 18:46:49

know what you are saying mablemurple, but moving is not an option right now...

cargirl, unfortunately our living, kitchen dining is all open plan leading to our garden, so impossible to move rooms around...

but thanks for the thoughts!

anyone had soundproofing?

lalalonglegs Tue 29-Jul-08 10:40:18

I think for impact noise you need to lay some sort of cushion under her floor which would be quite effective (we used hardboard backed with a foamy material). Check your lease to make sure she is allowed hardwood flooring which may give you some leverage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now