Advanced search

when moving out who will disconnect washing machine etc..

(10 Posts)
me23 Sat 26-Jul-08 18:42:02

I'm moving but I'm buying new cooker and washing machine as current ones are knakered. will I have to pay somone to dosconnect them a few days before move? I presume I can't do it myself (it is electric cooker) the council have a service that collects white goods but it doesnt say anything about disconnection.

LyraSilvertongue Sat 26-Jul-08 18:43:35

Electric cooker just unplugs so you can do that yourself. Washing machine too - you just disconnect the hoses after turning the taps on the pipes to the off position.

SqueakyPop Sat 26-Jul-08 18:43:55

Just flip the switch!

For the wm, close the valve and unscrew the hose.

LyraSilvertongue Sat 26-Jul-08 18:44:19

Don't pay someone to do it. It'll take them two minutes and cost you loads.

LIZS Sat 26-Jul-08 18:54:03

Electric cooker may well be hardwired in so would need an electrician. WM is easy though , unplug it, shut off the inlet taps before you disconnect the pipes(have a bowl waiutn underneath) and then take pipe out of the drainage pipe. allow all the pipes ot drain into the bowl. Council won't do this even if it is a council property , they just collect from the boundary so you'll have to shift them outside too.

me23 Sat 26-Jul-08 19:02:04

thanks! yes electic cooker is hardwired lol not just a plug now that would be easy! washing machine sounds easy enough although I dont know how I'm supposed to lift a cooker and washing machine to put it outside! I just can't do it.

ElectricSquonkElla Sat 26-Jul-08 19:03:37

if the cooker is hardwired in, you can unwire it yourself - you just need to make sure that the fuse is unplugged/switched off.

Unscrew the box, then it just disconnects like you would disconnect a plug.

As I said, MAKE SURE THE FUSE IS NOT ON before you start.

ClareVoiant Sat 26-Jul-08 19:27:06

have they stopped working completely or is there some lifein them still? if still working, why not put them on freecycle, then the person collecting can move them for you smile

theyoungvisiter Sat 26-Jul-08 19:36:45

Are you selling or moving out of rental?

If selling, have you asked what the person moving into your property would like? If they are moving from a property with (say) a built-in cooker then they may well be pleased to inherit yours, even if it is knackered, just so they don't have to shop for one the second they move in.

Alternative; you can just say that you are leaving them on the moving form. You should get a form listing all the fixtures and fittings and you tick what you are taking and what you are leaving. There's normally a space for white goods. You can just say you are leaving them and let the buyer raise an objection (if they object).

me23 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:46:40

I'm doing a mutual exhange from a council flat so I can't leave anything. I was thinking about freecycling the washing machine as it works fine but we need a washing dryer! so I'll try that I think. otherwise I guess I could ask the removal guys to move them downstairs then council can collect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now