Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you were looking to rent where would u go & what would u want??

(13 Posts)
Tigger13 Fri 25-Jul-08 09:50:32

I am trying to rent my house out in order to move to a different area (20miles away) I have it with a agent but wondering if you were looking to rent a property would you go to an agent or look privately? If privately where would you look?

Also what would u be looking for in a house in terms of condition, facilities,landlord infor??? it is a 4 bed so probably a family house

Any opinions gratefully received??!!

fiodyl Fri 25-Jul-08 10:23:37

When we were looking at renting a house at the begining of the year, we were looking for places that were neutrally decorated, had plenty of storage space and a garden. we were put of by some that had really grotty kitchens and those that were advertised as 3 bed but had one tiny bedroom that would fit Dss cot and nothing else.

We did go through an agent as we couldnt find many places advertised privately but would have preferred that route cos of all the checks and costs of going through an agent.
As we are on a low income some of the rent would have been paid by housing benefit. we have always paid our rent in full on time and had enough to cover the rent while the HB claim was sorted out. But the LA was insisting on 6months in advance every 6 months for the duration of our tenancy. we could have done this but didnt really feel we should have to.

fiodyl Fri 25-Jul-08 10:29:11

Oh and price was important too- we didnt even look at anything that was more than £900 pcm as I consider that to be a ridiculus amount of money to pay and also we weren't keen on places that only wanted a short term let that were also up for sale.

1dilemma Fri 25-Jul-08 10:49:08

I'm in London so agent

Family house want grass in the garden but an easy to maintain one

Wouldn't consider places up for sale or recently kaken off the market

Close to public transport for work

school catchment area can be all but we're sorted for that now!

lalalonglegs Fri 25-Jul-08 10:54:05

If it is furnished, then furniture is relatively new, clean and matching (not 1930s utility table with odds and ends chairs from Argos etc). No strange smells/stains. Good shower. Looks well maintained. I would also want some evidence that if the boiler broke down, say, someone would come and fix it immediately not keep putting it off a service contract or something. I'd want a professional inventory so there were no disputes at the end of the tenancy.

1dilemma Fri 25-Jul-08 10:57:53

oh yes
agent manages property

good shower

hanaflower Fri 25-Jul-08 10:57:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

raisinbran Fri 25-Jul-08 11:41:10

I'm looking to rent in the Formby/ Southport area. Need a min of 3 bed but want a house in good conditon, upto date kitchen and bathroom with good shower.

I want a long term rent and looking to pay around 1000k pcm. I have looked intensely on rightmove and I'm have gone to agents to set up appiontments but they are very slow.

I would go direct but I'm not sure how you go about it.

lalalonglegs Fri 25-Jul-08 12:05:40

Raisinbran put a message on website such as Gumtree and local paper (if you have one that is widely read) saying: Family seeks three bedroom house in Formby/Southport area for long term rental. Excellent references available, good price paid for property in excellent condition. Or words to that effect.

raisinbran Fri 25-Jul-08 16:29:45

Ok I'll try thanks. I always assumed Gumtree and local paper were for students or single professionals

Tigger13 Fri 25-Jul-08 18:24:43

Thanks for all your comments, would u prefer laminated flooring downstairs or carpet? I have a lounge you walk through to get to kitchen.

Shame raisinbran you sound prefect tenant to me! My house is in Bristol.

Have decided to advertise on gumtree and on various work intranet systems and use an agent as want to get it let quickly.

raisinbran Sat 26-Jul-08 08:56:14

Tigger13,
Wouldn't that have been great to have found a house and tennant through Mumsnet.
I personally like wood flooring, I also think it stands out better in photos when your comparing properties.

lalalonglegs Sat 26-Jul-08 11:16:22

I think it would be better to get laminate which, if it is good quality and laid properly, should last longer than carpet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now