Talk

Advanced search

do painters and decorators quote with paint included or not?

(12 Posts)
foxy1 Wed 23-Jul-08 20:50:32

hello

have had 3 quotes 1 with paint included, 1 without but he specified this and the other i am not sure about. any views? have you negotiated better price for painting/decorating? any advice. thank you

HarrietTheSpy Wed 23-Jul-08 22:21:11

the last three quotes i've had were for labour only, materials extra.

justjules Wed 23-Jul-08 22:22:02

have you specified what paint you actually want?

justjules Wed 23-Jul-08 22:22:44

it would be hard for them to quote if they didnt know what brand/colour you wanted

cat64 Wed 23-Jul-08 22:24:40

Message withdrawn

FoghornLeghorn Wed 23-Jul-08 22:28:05

DH is painter & decorator - he always provides one price for just labour and one for labour and materials.
TBH any decent decorator should price inc. materials because its much easier for him to get what you want and at a better price for trade

foxy1 Wed 23-Jul-08 22:52:16

they know we want magnolia paint on walls, white ceilings etc..

GypsyMoth Sat 26-Jul-08 14:02:35

about to start hunting for quotes myself.......do they/can they also sand lumpy walls? i suppose i could do that myself,but with 5 kids and no sander,would they do it?

foxy1 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:44:05

I am sure they would do it but i think they will charge labour?

SqueakyPop Sun 27-Jul-08 19:45:32

If it is white paint, they may include it in their quote. If it is coloured, they would expect you to supply it.

It should be clear in their quote though.

foxy1 Sun 27-Jul-08 23:18:48

thanks - what sort of prices are you paying for bedroom, hall stairs landing to be painted? many thanks

LovelyDear Sun 27-Jul-08 23:39:53

there's another thread about this. we've accepted a quote from a guy who's been recommended by friends who've used him a lot. It's 975 to do hall stairs and landing. he's going to put lining paper over the bumpy walls. he says it'll take 4 days (!!!!) and his quote includes paint and materials but only trade quality dulux. we want poncey farrow and ball so he'll reduce the cost by what he would have spent. iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now