Talk

Advanced search

How much would it cost to convert my loft?

(8 Posts)
Dalrymps Tue 22-Jul-08 22:03:35

If I were buying all the materials myself and my dh and other family member who has converted their own loft was doing the work? Anyone know what the cheapset I could do it for would be? We live in a 2 bed 1950 semi so not that big.

Dalrymps Wed 23-Jul-08 08:57:22

anyone?

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Wed 23-Jul-08 09:03:06

are you doing it with stairs or just a ladder? are you going to get a building warrant? builder normally guesstimate by m2 so it does matter how big it is. do you need a dormer? etc. you could just get a builder round and use their estimate as it is normally broken down into materials and labour.

Dalrymps Wed 23-Jul-08 13:09:18

With stairs although not sure where they'd go as the pitch of the roof is a bit funny, was just going to have a velux window or two. Not sure about building warrant, is that waht you have to get if you want to class it as an actual extra room? We were going to make it into our room when more lo's come along...

LIZS Wed 23-Jul-08 13:12:59

Stairs, size of window and the materials used need to pass Buildings Regulations relating to fire retardancy and access even if Planning Permission is not required

Dalrymps Wed 23-Jul-08 14:27:25

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying that. Do you contact the council about that then? <confused>

Lawrene8 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:32:15

Yes - you need to ring your council and ask to speak to their building control department - there's usually someone there who can have a chat with you and tell you what you need to do.

On another point - are you sure about putting your DCs upstairs in the loft? If there was a fire you'd have to go up to get them before coming down 2 flights of stairs. DH is a building inspector and insisted that we have the loft as our room for that reason.

Dalrymps Wed 23-Jul-08 14:38:08

Lawrence8 - I think you miread what I wrote, we are going to have it as our room smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now