Talk

Advanced search

look at our new new new new dream house...

(44 Posts)
Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 12:46:20

...and assist us with tactical purchasing advice (and cash donations if poss grin )

randomly drove past this place on one of our regular family trips to this remote and gorgeous part of wales.

wife tells me that she's already clocked it on right move and that its 380k. wow...we could afford that! let's move lock, stock and barrel, even if we only stay there for a few years til the nippers reach teendom.

no work needed (unlike other places we've considered round there). abso-flippin-lutely magnificent in all possible respects.

doh. on our return, we find out that she's thinking of another place and its actually 550k. boo hoo. out of our league.

or is it?

a bit of research reveals that it was last sold in may 2005 for 282k.

it looks v nice inside from the pics and they've obviously landscaped it outside and done patio v nicely etc (naturally, we had a sneak peak whilst in situ on sunday).

so they've done some nice work on it and spent a bit of cash (50-75k?), but they wanna almost double their money??? ambitious.

anyway, with the catastrophic global economic meltdown in mind, married to global warming and an imminent tory goverment, what do you reckon we could actually buy this place for?

this is a holiday home for whoever owns it, but i don't know anymore about it atm. hopefully they're desperate to sell and will beg us to take it off their hands..tee hee!

what think ye?

cheesesarnie Tue 08-Jul-08 12:48:03

looks lovely!envy i wish i had nice house

claricebeansmum Tue 08-Jul-08 12:48:49

Depends on the state it was in when they bought it.

How long has it been on the market?

mumblechum Tue 08-Jul-08 12:49:35

Yes, it is remarkably cheap, but <<<whispers>> it's in Wales

Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 12:52:03

it is.

and i think we'll end up nr you eventually, cheesesarnie.

we want to move somewhere just outside bath in a few years.

west country proper on our doorstep, south coast in striking distance.

for now though, we fancy the seaside, hills and lakes.

it'll never happen...or will it?? off to see mortgage advisor. back later (maybe with flea in ear after him laughing at my "accounts"!)

Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 12:54:27

only new on the market, i think...i'm guessing they're waiting for a rich family to spot it whilst they're on hols this summer, maybe.

cheap?

cheap? are you mad?!!! grin

it's gorgeous near there...but the nippers wil have to speak welsh in school....they'll be ok, but will we?

noddyholder Tue 08-Jul-08 13:22:46

way over priced considering the city is saying back to 2003 prices by 2011

lulumama Tue 08-Jul-08 13:25:13

wow ! it is absolutely lovely

i can send you the 17 pence and a half eaten packet of haribo i found down the back of the sofa grin

make an offer! you never know...........

FluffyMummy123 Tue 08-Jul-08 13:25:57

Message withdrawn

Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 13:57:49

wales, schmales.....its gorgeous and super and great and anyone who says otherwise is a jelly boots, so there.

you're right noddy, it is over-priced massively...as are a couple of other ones nearby, they're all in denial. a bit like cleopatra after samson chucked her in. boom boom.

so how do i get my point across to these dingbats, that they'll accept 380, be grateful for my custom and we'll all live happily ever after?!

i might go and see this place next week wth the missus...and dream of a life of unadorned luxury, hosting grand parties at the weekends, mountain biking, kayaking, jet ski-ing, redaing books by open fires on long winter nights, etc etc etc.

or we could just stay in our nice semi in suburbia...

Fimbo Tue 08-Jul-08 14:04:38

Someone on here (can't remember who) recently offered £480k on a house priced at £600k which was accepted.

artichokes Tue 08-Jul-08 14:09:40

Unless they are desperate they are very unlikely to accept £380k for a £540 house. They estate agent will ahve told them that is what it is worth and to expect offers around 10% below. If it has just come on the market they will hang out for £500ish for several months at least (esp given summer is coming and the tourists will be in the area).

IMO your only hope is it sits on the market for ages and they are in a position where they have to sell.

Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 14:10:28

no way! that's the kind of fighting talk i wanna hear, fimb. excellent.

plus, this house is in the middle of nowhere. these people wanna get real, and get real quick! it's not 2000. there's not a massive queue of rich solicitors from liverpool or manchester battling to buy it.

it's just little old us, so they'll feel sorry for us and sell it cheap, wont they?

450 is our absolute tops realistically...that's taking on another big mortgage. but we've done it once and we can do it again.

but its probably not enough.

may phone the estate agent this aft...

WilfSell Tue 08-Jul-08 14:12:02

prob you've got is that, as a holiday home, they can probably afford to keep it and rent it for holidays, covering or at least off-setting their mortgage costs...

claricebeansmum Tue 08-Jul-08 14:13:24

Be careful about offering really low. We had a ridiculous offer on ours and sent them packing. Now we aren't really interested in anything else they want to offer.

GooseyLoosey Tue 08-Jul-08 14:15:18

Wait and see what happens - doubt they will take an offer way below asking price yet.

hf128219 Tue 08-Jul-08 14:19:53

That was me that offered 480K on a 600K house! It was accepted - but we have pulled out, got cold feet. Just want to wait and see what happens in the next 6 or so months.

I have viewed 30+ houses in the last 6 months - and they are all still on the market.

Check out Zoopla! website - it guesses what a house should be worth based on the actual address, purchase price, any work done etc etc.

LoveMyGirls Tue 08-Jul-08 14:21:31

Ahem.......sounds fab but can I just point out if you over stretch yourself on the mortgage there will be no money left for the hosting grand parties at the weekends, mountain biking, kayaking, jet ski-ing, redaing books by open fires on long winter nights, etc etc etc
Big places need big money for the heating and up keep (so they say, i've never lived in anything bigger than a 3bed semi so what do i know.......dreams wistfully)

Ahh I'm only jelous you go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

And come back and let us know how it goes!!

Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 14:29:35

artichokes is exactly right, of course...although she's a massive spoilsport ruining our afternoon property fantasies! goosey's just rubbing salt in the wounds. grrrr.

clarice, that's a good thought..i think you're right here...but they're surely a point where you might have to listen to them if it all goes quiet? hope not for you, but...

now then wilf, you've hit upon my plan b.

would it be unreasonable to phone the estate agents and ask them if they would consider renting it out to us?

hopefully, they'd be happy for us to pay their mortgage for a while. and it would be a while because they surely won't sell it for months and months.

we could afford to do this. and in the meantime, we'd be in no rush to sell our house and hopefully maximise the cash we'd get for it.

then maybe in a few months they'd be forced to sell it at a lower price. we'd snap it up.

otherwise, there's a house nearby which isn't as grand, but is right on the cliffs. it needs doing up big time, which we'd be reluctant to do with the nippers living there, but if we were renting, that wouldn't be an issue.

problem solved. future family happiness assured. what ya reckon? (if you've been arsed reading all this tripe).

Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 14:41:50

wow, hf, any details on your super bargain getting? i'll search for the thread.

and yes, have seen zoopla...is that accurate?

it gives a value of 343 for the house we're looking at...that's without the improvements i think, so perhaps 400 realistically. but as you say, maybe in six months' time we'll be buying houses for a couple of minths wages! how knows.

anyway, this is all just finance.

we've got 3 nippers that we're dragging to the arse end of nowhere here just so they can be brought up in a rural idyll.

when i say "it's for your own good", what do we say when they respond "bugger off pater, we're being bullied at school by the welsh kids. and what's worse, we can't even understand what they're shouting at us, but it doesn't sound too pleasant."

bringing up children, moral dilemna number 78,342,084.

artichokes Tue 08-Jul-08 15:07:58

How old are your kids Stephen?

FluffyMummy123 Tue 08-Jul-08 15:09:14

Message withdrawn

tiredemma Tue 08-Jul-08 15:10:37

Nefyn- Its where 'Duffy' is from. Her dad owns a bar there.

(no relevance to the thread whatsoever)

FluffyMummy123 Tue 08-Jul-08 15:11:06

Message withdrawn

Stephen99 Tue 08-Jul-08 15:29:50

marbles well and truely lost some time ago, thanks.

nippers 6, 4 and 0.6.

not into sushi as yet.

besides, lashings of it in abersoch as any fule kno

yeah, i know about duffy..she'll retite there in a few years time and it'll become a mega celeb holiday property hot spot and we'll be rich, rich i tell you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now