Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh- best places to live for a Londoner and young family

(166 Posts)
mousemole Tue 24-Jun-08 18:21:01

I am London born and bred and have finally been convinced to move with hubby's job to Edinburgh. I love it as a visitor but am nervous about moving so far away from family and friends. We have 2 boys, 3 and 1.
So, what are best city centre areas to live in ? Where should you live to be near the best nurseries and schools (private or state)?
Am I totally mad or will I fall in love with the place ? Any other tips gratefully received. We will be renting at first.

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:22:32

I reckon there are more native Londoners living in Edinburgh than there are in London.

You'll be fine!

Bagpipers have been banned from the Royal Mile because of noise complaints.

mousemole Tue 24-Jun-08 18:29:28

[[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-21876278.rsp?pan=2&trt=rent this house ?]

mousemole Tue 24-Jun-08 18:29:45

[[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-21876278.rsp?pan=2&trt=rent this house ?]

expat - what is this area like ?

mousemole Tue 24-Jun-08 18:30:44

oh gawd, something went wrong, try here

www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-21876278.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=rent

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:31:24

Having lived in Edinburgh all my life I have to say that area is one of the nicest...

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:32:09

..and I aspire to living there, if I could afford it!! grin

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:32:18

that's a lovely area.

try UpMyStreet and enter the post code and it will link you to stats on the schools, even the surgeries to register with.

the New Town has loads of people from London and SE England, too, and loads of shops.

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:33:17

DH lived there all his life, HereComes.

And the girls are from there.

But we moved.

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:35:24

Where do you live now expat?

My DH is from Wester Ross and would LOVE to live there...we are considering moving somewhere else, but not because we don't like Edinburgh, but because we can't afford a decent sized house with garden here!

mousemole Tue 24-Jun-08 18:36:18

so the area is Newtown right ? Don't think we could afford to buy there but by what you are saying it would be good area to rent in.
Of the top of your heads do you know any schools/nurseries withing walking distance ?
Are there nice cafes and restaurants ? Family friendly ?

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:37:32

There are loads and loads of nice cafes and restaurants, and parks and things nearby.

Not too sure about schools or nurseries in that area I'm afraid, as we live on the other side of town and my DD isn't school/nursery age yet. smile

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:38:05

I might be able to be more specific in a day or two, am suffering from concussion at the moment and my brain is a bit fried, can't think very much!!

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:38:31

Rural Argyll, Herecomes.

Couldn't afford Edinburgh any more and we're not city people.

Sorry, mouse, I don't know anything about living in that area personally, as always lived in N. Edinburgh.

I'm sure many others will be along who have or may live there now.

Again, UpMyStreet is a good resource.

mousemole Tue 24-Jun-08 18:38:57

ooh nasty - how did you get concussion ?

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:40:20

it's referred to as 'The New Town' normally, yes.

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:42:10

Expat - I was always a city person until I had my DD and now I feel the lure of the country..we were in Galloway last week and it was lovely.

mousemole - I rather stupidly walked into a low scaffolding pole (which shouldn't have been there, admittedly) at full pelt pushing buggy, and thumped my head..10 days ago and counting sad

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:42:47

note - Edinburgh is not a dangerous place ridden with too low scaffolding poles just waiting to knock you out though grin

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:47:01

A lot of people think they are country people, but there are some really important things we had no considered when we first got here that go with living way out.

For one, you will need two cars that work well/in good repair. Because public tranport may not exist or be extremely limited and/or quite expensive.

For another, you will need to travel long distances for most things remotely resembling a shop, and say goodbye for good to most takeaways, restaurants, things open on Sunday or even all year round, etc.

Healthcare - services often patchy OR again, you will need to travel long distances for it.

Composite classes/no choice in schooling. In some cases, your child may need to board for secondary school.

It can be like getting blood out of stone to get tradespeople in, tricky when your house needs a lot of work.

Things like that.

For me, I was never a city person, I never cared for them, even though I was born in a huge city.

I left when I was 18 and spent as much time in the back of beyond as possible.

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:50:48

oh, you'll need room for a large freezer.

and you need to be super organised, particularly about food or staples like loo roll, etc.

just stuff like that.

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 18:51:01

I know, I am not quite ready to make the big move. My DH is from a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, which we visit regularly. He truly is a country person.

I think I would have to go for somewhere a bit more rural than Edinburgh but not quite as isolated as there. It would be a huge change.

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 18:53:32

it can be rough, especially the first winter.

i always laugh when DD1 sings along to Balamory, 'PC Plum, I LOVE the country!'

DH asked her if she wanted to move back to 'Embra' the other day.

She said, 'Nah. I prefer the heilans'.

HereComeTheGirls Tue 24-Jun-08 19:17:45

That is so sweet..that would make my DH sooo happy if my DD ever said that! grin

expatinscotland Tue 24-Jun-08 19:49:43

I would prefer a cheaper gas bill than this LPG, though, that's another country thing.

christiana Tue 24-Jun-08 19:53:58

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now