Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE can somebody help re Keylite/Velux/skylight blinds.. I am in despair and need this sorted by Monday!

(20 Posts)
ChocolateRockingHorse Thu 05-Jun-08 19:55:32

I know I'm being dramatic but if I don't try and get this sorted, DS will never sleep in his new bedroom and I want to try and instil good (better) habits from day 1.

We are about to move into our LONG awaited adapted (for disabled DS) house provided by our local HA and there are three skylights in his extension bedroom.

DS is a very poor sleeper as part of his complex needs. We are suffering from sleep deprivation of nearly 8 years. I need to put something at these windows (they've given skylights as part of a complicated spec designed around DS because he rips all other window coverings down) and I want to try and make this work from the word go.

I've got a 10% off thingy which I peeled off one of the windows (10% off Keylight blinds) but I'm not sure of the difference between these and Velux. I have a code.. CP 2006 82962 taken from one of the skylights and this must be right because the keylite leaflet gives a similar example. But on ALL the websites they are asking for numbers starting GH and GL (shorter numbers) in order to give a quote.

And I'm b*ggered if I can find them cheaper than £30 anywhere anyway..!! I NEED to get these.. but that's £90 by Monday and I can't find that amount of money so I need to find them cheaper.

I've been on a self imposed Mumsnet ban but I'm back because only MN can help with this.. I know it sounds trivial but it's not really..

Can anyone help with a. the code issue and b. finding somewhere where they're cheaper than £30!

DirtySexyMummy Thu 05-Jun-08 20:01:11

a) Code should be on the inside of the window - on a sticker underneath the handle.

b) I very much doubt it. I presume its not Velux for £30? Mine were around £100 each.

ChocolateRockingHorse Thu 05-Jun-08 20:04:44

Yes that IS the code DSM.. I got it from there but it's not a code like any of the websites are asking for.

WTF are they so expensive? angry I only want roller blinds! I really really need them and there's no way I can pay that.

Grrr..

but thanks for info. Not grrrr-ing at you.

DirtySexyMummy Thu 05-Jun-08 20:08:53

Well, I have just checked on mine and they are GPL 458.. The sticker has a Velux logo and this code.

Are your ones actually Velux ones?

SaintGeorge Thu 05-Jun-08 20:10:32

Do you have Velux windows or Keylite?

ChocolateRockingHorse Thu 05-Jun-08 20:12:53

They are Keylite windows.. but the Velux website say they're belinds fit Keylite..

They are only small. With windows that size in a normal vertical wall, you could buy them from our local pounds shop for a few quid

DirtySexyMummy Thu 05-Jun-08 20:20:56

I can't find anything on the Velux website about keystone..

ChocolateRockingHorse Thu 05-Jun-08 20:22:50

Well there are lots of websites which sell both, it was on at least one of those

DirtySexyMummy Thu 05-Jun-08 20:24:31

Hmm.. well, the actual Velux one doesn't mention it, and only allows you to order with a velux code, not your code.

I'll keep looking for you.. smile

CarGirl Thu 05-Jun-08 20:26:08

you can sellotape aluminium foil up as a short term solution.

SaintGeorge Thu 05-Jun-08 20:29:47

The code looks right for a Keylite window, I think the CP is for Central Pillar, and then the model etc.

The discount sticker I would think would only be any good on the Keylite website.

Finding prices elsewhere for you is more difficult, a lot of sites needs sizes not model numbers. Would need full details of measurements, model, type of blind you want etc etc

ChocolateRockingHorse Thu 05-Jun-08 20:34:49

Thank you St G. I have text DH to ask him to measure them. He is at the new house laying flooring.

We hadn't done so previously because the builders told us the code would mean we didn't need to, but obviously we need to shop around so we do need to.

Foil not a bad idea; thank you CarGirl.

zippitippitoes Thu 05-Jun-08 20:37:18

tesco direct do blinds for velux windows cheap

order before 12 and get them delivered free to your local store next day

ChocolateRockingHorse Thu 05-Jun-08 20:38:13

Thank you Zippi!! Will look.

zippitippitoes Thu 05-Jun-08 20:43:52

except they are not as cheap as i thought they seem to be 40 quid

there ordinary roller blacout blinds are cheap i just bought some

however they are cheaper than velux ones which i also bought recently

zippitippitoes Thu 05-Jun-08 20:44:32

sorry

ChocolateRockingHorse Thu 05-Jun-08 20:46:00

Eeek yes they are £65.. with a fiver off... but thanks.. It's made me realise that £30 us cheap now.

Still it's all relative when you haven't for it! I could do with spending £30 on the three!

spudcounter Thu 05-Jun-08 20:58:08

I don't know whether this is relevant or not./..but we have 2 velux windows in our daughter's attic room..Velux blinds work well as long as you don't have any windows on the catch, IYSWIM..in summer, however, when we do..to let air into the bedroom as it gets so hot up there on a/c of it being at the top of the house, there IS a stream of light let thru via the opening.

I wouldn't want you to pay so much money for blackout blinds and then realise that because you need air in summer, they didn't work as well as you needed....

CarGirl Thu 05-Jun-08 21:08:34

only cheap thing you could do is to put in rods above and below the windows (need to be wider too) and make curtains out of black out material that the rods would slot through. It would be quite easy to do (I think), it would mean that you could have the windows open a little in the summer and it would still be dark & use foil in the meantime.......

newshoes121 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:30:12

Match up the glass size to the chart here and ask for a keylight conversion kit for the brackets. Its a standard skylight blind but they will work on keylight windows!

orderblinds.co.uk/dept/skylight-blinds-cheap-velux-blinds-roof-blinds-loft_d01241238025.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now