Where to put seating (plan attached)

(8 Posts)
mistletoeandwine2021 Thu 25-Nov-21 08:14:09

So just had new kitchen put in to a side return extension and my hope was to be able to have sofa style / comfy seating for 4 but typically as things go in the space is shrinking ! And I’m left with a wide but fairly narrow space
The kitchen is now in and I love it but where the island seating is is encroaching where I had planned a small sofa . We decided to have island seating around the Island rather than in a row as we will eat there most days and there is 4 of us and we didn’t want to eat in a line ! Our more formal dining table is in second part of reception room.
The space for the living area from back of bar stool to sliding door is about 2.8m wide and 4.8 m long (see pic) but realistically to fit by and walk past stools I think space more like 2.2m wide.
Tv will be wall mounted. There is no problem fitting a good size sofa across as nothing in the way there so could fit a 3 seater but do I have accent chairs opposite each other marking a U shape or do I put something in front of sliding doors ? Need design help please. Kitchen is modern Matt white with dark bay idjsnd so was planning bright coloured velvet sofas

OP’s posts: |
sarahb083 Thu 25-Nov-21 08:52:18

It's hard to say from just a drawing. Do you have furniture in another room you could test out in the space, before buying new? Or you could mark it out on the floor using tape

mistletoeandwine2021 Thu 25-Nov-21 09:58:38

I’m waiting for work top to go down which will give me better feel of space by the island. I think I’ll then bring furniture in and move it around - good idea

MyAnacondaMight Thu 25-Nov-21 11:47:42

This really should have been sorted at design stage. You’re right, you’ve not left enough room at the end for a decent sitting area. You had space for either an L shape run of units or L shape island seating - but not both. The sliding doors make things hard too, as you can’t really use that wall for furniture.

With what you’ve got, I would compromise on a small chaise type corner sofa up against the sliding doors. With no back, the chaise shouldn’t block off the doors too much. Depending how the doors open, it might be better on the pillar side - so don’t mount your tv just yet.

mistletoeandwine2021 Thu 25-Nov-21 12:18:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calmdown14 Thu 25-Nov-21 18:53:52

Is it bifold style door? If so do you have single opener at one end? If not I would decide which end is the one you'll open when you need to put out the bin or recycling (i.e your ordinary use door) . I'd say nearest TV if you have a choice as this is kitchen end.

I'd then get a compact corner chaise sofa and a nice rug to zone it and try and reduce long feeling and a couple of compact velvet chairs - more scandi/posh dining style than arm chairs so they can be moved easily. That way you can position for best look but move about if someone wants to watch TV.

Old wallpaper is great for making pretend furniture for floor space too. I think it's pretty decent space and you won't have all the doors open all the time so it's fine to have something in front of them as long as it is easy to move or access. A low chaise or corner won't look bulky and you have over 2m in that corner. Just watch the depth so it doesn't interfere with the island seating

I'd then get a compact corner chaise at the opposite end so that the chaise part goes in front of doors. It's over 2m so as long as you get one with net arms it will still seat thee easily.

Calmdown14 Thu 25-Nov-21 18:54:31

Sorry my message jumped about for some reason!

Advertisement

mistletoeandwine2021 Fri 26-Nov-21 15:16:38

@Calmdown14 thank you really good idea - the doors are 3 panel thin frame sliding and go both ways and we plan on going out through tv end so love your idea of chaise or even corner sofa going in partially in front of the doors. Rug to change zone great idea too. The kitchen ceiling height is really high at this end to so think it will look great another reason why with the pillar and the change in ceiling height it zoned itself into leaving this as sitting space !. You’ve cheered up my Friday 🙏

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in