Page 2 | Where would you live in London for 400k?

(90 Posts)
Etherealhedgehog Mon 22-Nov-21 20:49:59

I'll preface by saying that I'm London born and bred, also that I love my job and really need to be in London for it for the next few years - so leaving really doesn't feel like an option right now.

We have one DD. That's probably our limit but we really want three bedrooms so we can have space to work from home regularly, making it more feasible to manage pick ups etc around our jobs once DD is in school.

Other requirements: we'd love a garden but get that that's unlikely. Failing that we'd dearly love at least a balcony for the hot days. Regretfully we won't consider ex-council (which is limiting) because we've seen too many properties (including one we had to pull out of purchasing) that have been whacked with really enormous major works bills in the last few years, and we can't take that financial risk.

Commute of up to 60 mins to central London. Good schools.

Budget is 400k, 425 tops - but that would have to be good to go/no refurb required.

I'm finding Rightmove pretty disheartening at the moment - hoping the combined wisdom of Mumsnet can inspire me. Where would you look?

OP’s posts: |
AwkwardPaws27 Mon 22-Nov-21 21:35:33

@Etherealhedgehog I get the disappointment - I was priced out of home (Walthamstow) years ago which is how I ended up in Romford (I didn't want to leave London, we're zone 6, have red buses & are still in a London borough).
Its quite nice here though - DH and I have discussed moving away but at the moment being here suits us. We're expecting our first and the town centre has some nice independent coffee shops and cafes, decent library, new leisure centre with an ice rink, primaries are good, and it's close enough to central London for free days out to museums etc.

cafedesreves Mon 22-Nov-21 21:35:48

Something like this?
I've just moved to SE18 and couldn't be happier!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115117886

sazzt Mon 22-Nov-21 21:37:11

Calmestofallthechickens

Definitely SE London - Plumstead, Welling, New Eltham are all quite affordable in that budget, easy to get to Greenwich and into central. Much more leafy than North London.

Second this, maybe even out towards Dartford/Belvedere/Erith way. Further put down A2 or A20 will make your money go further and be in easy reach of Greenwich. Most train lines from that area go into Charing Cross which would be ok for your work location.

cafedesreves Mon 22-Nov-21 21:37:26

Crossrail would get you to Holborn in no time!

SweetBabyCheeses99 Mon 22-Nov-21 21:38:10

These areas. Cheapest plus the train goes into Blackfriars/ Charing Cross. Somewhere like Welling?

AwkwardPaws27 Mon 22-Nov-21 21:39:46

areyouhavingagiraffe

**@AwkwardPaws27**, ha. Funnily enough I spotted this on RM earlier and discounted it. I don't like the layout, and it isn't extended, am also looking for a place with bay windows upstairs and downstairs. I also guarantee it will go for more. I had an offer approved on a house nearby (off Mawney Road, a few mins walk from here) earlier this year but pulled out due to no building regs for works. I offered £500K.

Yes, extended houses will go for more - we're looking at extending our kitchen, it's a lot of money and the prices for building work just keep increasing unfortunately.
Our house is a little smaller but I love Edwardian houses & we've luckily still got some original features.

Advertisement

kirinm Mon 22-Nov-21 21:40:33

Pepys Road London SE14
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115322657

Telegraph Hill?

SweetBabyCheeses99 Mon 22-Nov-21 21:42:09

£385 for a proper 1930s 3 bed semi with garden:
www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116429291#/?channel=RES_BUY

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116358242#/?channel=RES_BUY

gemloving Mon 22-Nov-21 21:42:37

We live in new eltham and love it BUT I don't even consider it London but we have a London postcode.

BakeOffRewatch Mon 22-Nov-21 21:43:08

They do come up OP, just sell really quickly. This one went on market twice this year.
www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/109963505

The 1930s houses in Plumstead’s Woodlands estate are usually sub £400k. It is a nice area. Just a bit of a walk to the station.

MaryStuart Mon 22-Nov-21 21:47:15

Hasn’t got a garden or balcony
But it’s a good location for family in Greenwich.
HG is nice.
You’re very close to Charing X for the Strand / quick walk or bus ride to Holborn.
Don’t know how long the lease is.

George Lane, Hither Green
www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/79840539

WildStallyn Mon 22-Nov-21 21:52:00

So to expand on Havering a bit, I think you can exclude Upminster, Emerson Park and Gidea Park as over budget, Harold Hill (almost exclusively ex-council and a fair distance from a station) and Collier Row (no station).

But if you focused your search around Harold Wood, Romford, Hornchurch or Elm Park stations you'd likely find a decent 3 bed terrace. The commute is quicker from Harold Wood or Romford (and will be even easier if Crossrail ever opens) whereas from Hornchurch or Elm Park it's doable (I used to do it) but a bit more of a schlep.

Loads of excellent primaries and although we aren't at that stage yet I think some good secondaries in all those areas too. Hornchurch has quite a nice town centre and we're pretty spoilt for lovely parks. I'll confess we're actually looking to move further out but for London on a modest budget I think it's hard to beat.

zoemum2006 Mon 22-Nov-21 22:07:10

I second SE London. The borough of Bexley is relatively affordable. I live in Sidcup (zone 5 of London) and you can get houses with gardens and good schools in this area. If you go to Welling you will get quite a good sized house too:

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116358242#/?channel=RES_BUY

mrsanflowerpot Mon 22-Nov-21 22:11:22

If you're in central London and happy to commute what about going North? Hertfordshire is an option, Welwyn Garden City for example has a 20 min train direct to Finsbury Park/King's Cross and ten min tube to Holborn. You would get somewhere within your budget in areas of Herts.

GuidingSpirit Mon 22-Nov-21 22:16:27

You can get a house + garden in Mitcham for that. If you look on the Tooting / Colliers Wood side then you have access to Thameslink / Southern via Mitcham Eastfields and walking distance to CW tube for Northern line.

eurochick Mon 22-Nov-21 22:25:46

This is a two bed but they've carved out an office space. It's detached and close to a zone 6 station:

Mount Pleasant Road, Caterham
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/109999367

Nightmanagerfan Mon 22-Nov-21 22:41:33

Catford/Hither Green?

This flat is in a lovely house and has an enormous garden for London. You could put a garden office in for extra space, or extend

Balloch Road, London, SE6
www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116534357

TedMullins Mon 22-Nov-21 22:43:36

South Norwood. You can get a 2 bed terrace with a garden for around 400k. Definitely a 2 bed garden flat or maisonette.

EggbertHeartsTina Mon 22-Nov-21 22:47:11

I live in Shirley, Croydon, near the Beckenham side. We have a three bed terrace with a small garden. Valued last week at £385k so within your budget.

Talkwhilstyouwalk Mon 22-Nov-21 22:48:54

How about MK? I live in Olney, lovely place to be. 20 min drive from Milton Keynes central and Bedford train station. Great schools!

TedMullins Mon 22-Nov-21 22:51:42

Oh and 12 mins fast train to London Bridge, and the overground.

MurielSpriggs Mon 22-Nov-21 22:58:36

If the only reason you're avoiding council houses is the fear of being slapped with a share of a huge bill for an overhaul of a whole estate then you're probably being too cautious. That would mainly affect flats in blocks, not houses. I would keep council houses within my search criteria, but just be alert to that issue as an early question to research.

tara66 Mon 22-Nov-21 23:09:07

Dare I suggest Acton and Ealing - more ''central''? Some flats on about GBP450,000 asking price look quite Ok on PL.

Sd352 Mon 22-Nov-21 23:17:21

I think with some compromises you could be pretty close to Greenwich:

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108623762#/?channel=RES_BUY

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/97541744#/?channel=RES_BUY

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/113672183#/?channel=RES_BUY

They are not the loveliest houses around but quite well located.

SaturdayKitchenDisco Mon 22-Nov-21 23:20:13

I'd suggest south norwood as well... Norwood Junction is a great station - on thameslink, overground and trains to Victoria. London Bridge is just 15 mins away. Walkable to crystal palace.
This is a lovely flat

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90494620

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in