Windows & Planning Permission

(9 Posts)
OllieTheCat Mon 22-Nov-21 18:07:45

Hi all, apologies if this is a silly question....do windows have to match exactly to the architects drawings?! We are about to kick off a house renovation, including an extension. Planning permission all received, with no conditions and the house isn't listed, if that's relevant. The architect is currently working on the construction drawings, which will include the windows schedule. If the submitted drawings show a window opening with say, two casement windows, can we actually do one fixed window and one tilt and turn....ie exactly the same size as on the plans but maybe a different combination?? I have got a full quote for all the glazing and was going to match it to the sizes in the windows schedule but suddenly thought I'd have to have casement windows when we tilt and turn. hmm

OP’s posts: |
Havaword Mon 22-Nov-21 20:08:45

Your permission has no conditions?? Usually they include a time frame, approved plans and a condition relating to materials as a minimum.
Would the appearance of the windows be the same? You refer to casement windows but also refer to the opening technique. If the opening technique is the different but they look the same then it wouldn’t be a problem. If you’re changing them from casement windows then it may be different. Are you in a conservation area?

BlueMongoose Mon 22-Nov-21 20:23:51

I'd just ask the architect.
We've just had the last of the old tilt-and-turn windows eliminated from our house, we just chose casements instead when we had the old ones replaced, and the window company was no problem with that so I'm not sure why it would be for you, unless for some reason new builds have different rules. Mind you, I'm so glad to see the back of the tilt-and-turns. I found them to be a pain in the neck; you could only open them a set amount, which often wasn't enough for me in hot weather, and was too much in cold weather, and they tended to move in the wind when open overnight. Is there a specific reason you want one?

OllieTheCat Tue 23-Nov-21 17:39:51

Thanks for the advice!

We will have aluminium windows through out, which is detailed on the plans, so it's more about the type of window rather than the materials.

The reason I'm keen on tilt and turn is due to our cats....and yes, the architect thinks I'm mad as well....currently most of the upstairs windows allow either access to a flat roof or they are dormer windows giving access to the roof so the cats happily go in and out of them when they are open. After the renovation, that won't be the case and after 10+ years, the cats may be in for a shock! So it's more about their safety and I don't want to put netting etc across the new windows.

GodspeedJune Thu 25-Nov-21 13:30:28

@OllieTheCat Please be aware that tilt and turn windows can be really dangerous for cats. They try to squeeze through the opening at the top then slip down and get stuck. Sadly can be fatal.

Is it because they’re house cats you’re after certain windows?

OllieTheCat Thu 25-Nov-21 17:15:07

GodspeedJune

*@OllieTheCat* Please be aware that tilt and turn windows can be really dangerous for cats. They try to squeeze through the opening at the top then slip down and get stuck. Sadly can be fatal.

Is it because they’re house cats you’re after certain windows?

Thanks for the feedback....I hadn't considered that they could actually be dangerous.

They are outdoor cats and have just got used to being able to access the upstairs windows due to the current layout. The windows that have a normal drop from the first floor down to the ground have to be kept shut in summer as we have had a few scary 'balancing on the window ledge' episodes. I know we can get the cat mesh to protect them climbing out but had hoped the new windows would restrict them sufficiently.

Maybe back to the drawing board!

GodspeedJune Thu 25-Nov-21 17:54:24

Ah, I know the feeling. Our cats used to use the first floor windows that went onto a ground floor roof to come and go. When we moved and it was no longer safe, we had window restrictors fitted. My parents have timber framed windows and the manufacturer’s incorporated a window restrictor that can’t be seen when the windows are shut.

Means we can open them a couple inches for airflow but the cats can’t get out.

If you do still want tilt and turn windows you can get grills to make them safe at the sides but they’re pretty hideous unfortunately!

Advertisement

Valerie77 Thu 02-Dec-21 11:15:32

I think you're most likely fine, as long as the window is the same size as the one you were getting before - if you're still unsure it's always worth checking with the planning authority in your area or giving the council a call if you need information quickly

BlueMongoose Fri 03-Dec-21 19:45:54

I see...I haven't got cats, and never thought of that. Awkward.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in