Anyone have a green roof?

(8 Posts)
Hairyfriend Wed 06-Oct-21 20:23:26

We are thinking of putting this on a new extension. Any good/bad experiences you can tell me about yours?

OP’s posts: |
Seashell1234 Thu 07-Oct-21 22:01:33

I have one on an outbuilding and it's lovely! No trouble.

Hairyfriend Fri 08-Oct-21 16:46:55

@Seashell1234- Thanks. What maintenance does it require? I'd read about annual fertilising and watering if very hot/dry. Is yours sedum?

Seashell1234 Thu 14-Oct-21 20:47:00

I haven't been told to fertilise it (it looks sedumy but I forget the exact type). I watered it when it was first installed (heat wave) and once or twice this year when it was crazy hot.

Stokey Thu 14-Oct-21 20:53:19

Yes we have one above our kitchen. It's sedum, very low maintenance. When it's been very dry we stick a sprinkler out there, only if it's starting to look brown. And get out there a couple of times a year to tidy up leaves, check gutters etc. I love it. We can see it from our upstairs landing, bathroom and back bedroom. It's so much nicer than seeing a vast bit of concrete and good for wildlife.

LtGreggs Thu 14-Oct-21 21:06:26

Our next door neighbours have one on an outbuilding. It started off sedum, now (5+ yrs later) it is weeds/grass. The neighbours are not natural gardeners though.

Watto1 Thu 14-Oct-21 21:08:56

Silly question but do you have to mow it? I’ve got a picture in my head of my dh mowing the roof!

Advertisement

Hairyfriend Thu 14-Oct-21 22:56:39

@Watto1- No mowing required. Apparently the plants used (sedum) are only small when fully grown. I was told we'd need to fertilise it annually, along with check there are no rogue grasses or other plants growing in it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in