Extending bungalow- loft extension on top of existing 1st floor

(6 Posts)
Summerzz123 Sat 17-Apr-21 14:25:30

Hi, I’m looking to see if anyone had done a loft conversion, and built on top of a pre-existing extension?

We are looking to add 3 bedrooms and a bathroom, this should be doable with the space. The loft is still used as such just now.

We would need to make roof height higher, but neighbours have done this all around.

Has anyone done anything similar and have an estimated cost? We are also going to know a wall down to make downstairs open plan, so we need to factor in those costs.
I know we’ll have to double check depth of foundations on current extension and are thinking we’ll probably need to use a timber frame. Houses in our area don’t have much of a ceiling in terms of price, and our garden is a great size.

I have attached the downstairs layout, not sure if that helps!

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
TobyHouseMan Sat 17-Apr-21 17:51:39

We have taken a bungalow and put a second story on it.

We had no problem with the foundations (after the building inspector checked the depth after we dug a hole down the side to expose them) If they weren't deep enough we would have had to dig piles.

It was expensive. Cannot imagine you'd get much change out of 125k but it's really hard to estimate without knowing all the details.

It can be a complicated endeavor, so before you go into it get yourself a good local architect and they should be able to give you a ball park figure. In all we paid him 8k and he was fantastic.

Summerzz123 Sat 17-Apr-21 18:12:15

Thanks for the reply.

Did you do a kind of extended loft conversion over an existing extension or was it a proper second story, with roof on top?

We were hoping that the fact we might not need to dig foundations and do a full 2 story extension, might make it slightly cheaper, but it doesn’t sound like it! We were thinking (hoping) 80-100k might suffice.

Sounds as though we should get some estimates. Did you go straight to the architect? How long did it take you? Did you have to rent somewhere whilst it was being done?

Thanks for replying!

TobyHouseMan Sat 17-Apr-21 19:51:49

It's difficult to know what you're trying to do here as the image is very bad - please post a link to the OnTheMarket if poss. with some decent pics.

We actually removed the whole roof and put a new one on. We extended out the front and back and increased the roof pitch from 30 to 45 degrees to give us the extra upstairs space, as well as putting a rear extension on.

We actually lived in the house whilst this was going on. It wasn't nice really and was extreme. Careful planning and an understanding family made it all possible. We saved 40k in rent which allowed us to fit a dream kitchen and bathroom.

We actually paid more than 125k for this and it was a huge job.

The main build took about 20 week - this was to get the house in a sealed condition with electric and heating. The finishing off took an age as it always does.

>> Did you go straight to the architect?
Yes. The chap we used was very knowledgeable. We told him what our goals were and he came back with suggestions. He was also able to estimate the costs. I would recommend this approach to anyone.

I used trusted builders on a day rate and project managed the whole build. This saved me a lot of money but it's not for everyone. I also was the buyer for the materials and I managed to save a packet on the prices the builders could have got.

Summerzz123 Sat 17-Apr-21 20:14:39

Thanks again- this is very interesting.

I’ll post a link to the house. The living room at the back and the dining part of the house is the single sorry extension. So we’re just looking to go into the loft space, and extend out on top of the existing extension. The roof height is low though, so we would need to raise that.

Then we’d knock down the wall between the kitchen and living area to create a new layout downstairs.

This is the link to on the market.

www.onthemarket.com/details/4468853/

TobyHouseMan Sat 17-Apr-21 22:14:54

I think I can see that the back of the house is a flat roof and that's where you want the extra space?

If you wanted to put a pitched roof on the part which has a flat roof you could only go so high as your existing pitched roof height - but an architect might come up with some creative scheme I cannot see.

Both your neighbours have a higher-pitched roof so I think as you say you'd get planning permission to raise your roof OK.

It's a lot of work and you really need the help of a professional to progress. But one thing I can almost guarantee is your existing roof joists will not be man enough to support living above, so they will need replacing. This will mean the ceilings downstairs will need replacing.

I would be surprised if the foundations were an issue to be honest. It was a massive worry for me but the building inspector was very unconcerned really.

My gut feeling is you have a fighting chance for 100k - Scotland is generally cheaper than down south where I am (you lucky person you!)

My top tip for keeping the costs down:-

Draw up your plans, check, re-check and check again and then STICK to them. Changes once a build has started is expensive.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in