Talk

Advanced search

Love Hastings but worried about schools

(8 Posts)
almostautumn Sun 22-Nov-20 08:57:21

We’re looking to move to East Sussex and really like Hastings and St Leonard’s. However, whilst there do seem to be some good and outstanding primaries, I can’t see much or anything in the way of good secondaries! Are there any decent secondaries in the area? We don’t want to move there then have to relocate again in five years’ time because of schools. We’re looking at state schools as private is not an option on our budget. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
almostautumn Sun 22-Nov-20 13:29:53

Anyone?

LeekPeachPlum Sun 22-Nov-20 13:34:57

Not sure about Hastings but there are good secondary schools in Bexhill (St Richards) and Battle (Claverham) which are near by.

cariadlet Sun 22-Nov-20 13:43:02

I live in Bexhill and think it's better for schools. Hastings is only a very short drive or train ride away. Once children get to be teenagers, there's not much for them to do in Bexhill but Eastbourne and Hastings are easily accessible by public transport

beforesunset44 Sun 22-Nov-20 15:26:29

almostautumn

We’re looking to move to East Sussex and really like Hastings and St Leonard’s. However, whilst there do seem to be some good and outstanding primaries, I can’t see much or anything in the way of good secondaries! Are there any decent secondaries in the area? We don’t want to move there then have to relocate again in five years’ time because of schools. We’re looking at state schools as private is not an option on our budget. Thanks.

Helenswood (all girls school) and William Parker (all boys school) recently joined to form Alexandra Academy. Helenswood and William Parker were probably the best rated secondary schools in Hastings, but I assume Alexandra Academy hasn't been open long enough to indicate success rates yet. As pp suggested, Claverham and St Richards are good local secondary schools.

almostautumn Sun 22-Nov-20 15:52:14

Thanks. If we lived in Hastings, would we be in the catchment area for Claverham and St Richards? And how do you know for sure that your DC will get a place at those schools and not just be allocated to the secondaries in Hastings itself?

cariadlet Sun 22-Nov-20 16:48:26

St Richards is a Catholic school. Priority is given to children who are baptised and practising Catholics, then to children of other Christian denominations. The catchment area if you aren't applying on religious grounds depends on the birth rate in that particular year and on the number of sibling places.

I'm not sure about Claverham. I know that we were told that we 'd have a good chance of getting in when we were applying because it was a low birth rate year. One thing to bear in mind as children get older and want to meet friends independently, is that a lot of pupils at Claverham live either in Battle or in the surrounding villages. If you're in Hastings, it could be harder for them to meet friends without relying on lifts. In a bad winter (admittedly we haven't had for a few years), Battle seems to be more prone to snow than places actually on the coast and school buses can be affected.

XingMing Sun 22-Nov-20 17:10:58

Anecdotally, I am told that Battle has decent secondaries and that Robertsbridge is the best option from Bexhill and Hastings.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in