Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone regret having white kitchen worktops?

(17 Posts)
sluj Sat 31-Oct-20 13:33:56

We are having a new kitchen and I like the look of white shaker. I was initially thinking maybe white Quartz or Corian worktops but I'm a bit worried about possible staining and whether or not it would just all be too....white?

OP’s posts: |
DaphneduM Sat 31-Oct-20 13:42:06

I've got white Corian worktops and integrated sink and drainer. It was part of the kitchen in the house that we bought last year. I can honestly say it's absolutely fine and totally forgiving. We're pretty messy people, but any stains can easily be wiped off - more stubborn stains are sorted by Flash with bleach or Barkeepers. Ours doesn't look too white as the kitchen cupboards are black!!! Not what I would have probably chosen but have 'softened' the colours with varying coloured Le Creuset storage jars and a deep blue wall and window blind. Because it is a fairly new and good quality kitchen, there was no way I would replace it, so have made the best of it. But the result is pretty striking (in a good way I hope!!!).

ginislife Sat 31-Oct-20 13:45:45

I regret the black granite far more than the white I replaced it with. They showed every finger mark, water spot and grease mark. So glad they're gone. My white looks so much better

sluj Sat 31-Oct-20 14:07:28

Are we talking about gloss or matt ones?
Thank you

Russell19 Sat 31-Oct-20 14:08:46

I have quartz with a little grey marble effect type pattern. Hides marks well! grin

Toilenstripes Sat 31-Oct-20 14:10:56

We have a white Corian/quartz composite with integrated sink last year. It’s held up but we have hard water so have to use vinegar and scrub around the tap area. Otherwise we love it.

ThePerfectRose Sat 31-Oct-20 14:12:39

Following this with interest as we want a Howden’s kitchen with the Miami white quartz for our new place!

Cherubienne Sat 31-Oct-20 15:06:42

Our place came with a white granite that's has flecks of silver and grey in it - I find stains don't stick, the only tricky ingredient is turmeric but that also disappears with a good scrub.

Cupboards are white as well - not gloss and very old fashioned but it works, as a PP said it tends to be hard water stains or mucky fingers that show up when seen at an angle.

Billericaydicky Sat 31-Oct-20 15:22:25

I've got white corian and it is no problem, I went for it rather than quartz as I wanted the sink moulded into the worktop.

SerialRelocator Sat 31-Oct-20 15:40:05

We have white silestone in Blanco Stellar. A polished quartz with silver / grey flecks in it. No regrets at all. Looks like new after 5+ years.

MiddlesexGirl Sat 31-Oct-20 15:41:59

Yep me. Had to use way too much bleach to keep the stains away.

Black granite has been a dream. 12 years and still looking as good as the day it was installed.

Smallgoon Sat 31-Oct-20 15:48:20

Nope... I went for a white quartz with blue/grey veining. My worktop is my favourite thing about my kitchen.

Smallgoon Sat 31-Oct-20 15:49:25

MiddlesexGirl

Yep me. Had to use way too much bleach to keep the stains away.

Black granite has been a dream. 12 years and still looking as good as the day it was installed.

Why are you using bleach? Bar Keepers Friend is best for removing stains

caringcarer Sat 31-Oct-20 16:07:26

I bought a house with a solid white kitchen. I found it just too white. I did not have issue with staining but it looked do bland. I changed worktop for butcher's block and it sets kitchen off better. In another house with an expensive oak kitchen I installed black with small silver flecks in. I tend to like contrast between units and worktop. I know solid oak units are not fashionable but I really prefer top quality oak.

drumandthebass Sat 31-Oct-20 18:03:20

We've had white corian in two kitchens and I love it. Barkeepers Friend is literally your friend for removing stains...it's magic. I love the fact that it's seamless and you can continue the corian up the wall and behind the cooker without any joins.

sluj Sat 31-Oct-20 18:07:00

I'm quite interested in Corian as you can bend it up the wall into a splashback and also create a draining board BUT, is it very soft and easy to scratch? How does it cope with hard water?

DaphneduM Sat 31-Oct-20 18:22:03

We're in a soft water area so can't comment about how it copes with hard water. But Corian is extremely durable and doesn't scratch. I do have a couple of worktop savers near the hob however.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in