Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your knobs!

(10 Posts)
Misty9 Thu 29-Oct-20 13:50:34

With so many decisions to make in a renovation, I've come unstuck with doorknobs. My internal doors have been dipped and stripped but I'm not sure yet whether I'll paint them or stain them. I think I prefer knobs to handles, but can't decide on oval vs round, or chrome vs brass colour?! It's a 1950s ex LA house.

OP’s posts: |
Misty9 Thu 29-Oct-20 13:52:26

And sprung or unsprung?! I'm thinking oval might be easier for the dc to operate..?

toria658 Thu 29-Oct-20 14:02:33

Also consider if you ever get or have pets, some handles allow them to open doors....

Misty9 Thu 29-Oct-20 14:15:08

toria658

Also consider if you ever get or have pets, some handles allow them to open doors....

😂 Don't add more factors for me to consider!

What sort of knobs do people have on what kind of doors?

JoJoSM2 Thu 29-Oct-20 22:08:25

What style are you going for otherwise? Brass is more traditional and chrome more modern, for example. Oval knobs sound v traditional to me.

JoJoSM2 Thu 29-Oct-20 22:09:46

Sorry, chrome is more modern than brass but door knobs and not handles will look traditional either way.

isseywith4vampirecats Thu 29-Oct-20 22:28:25

our house is `940s and we have gone for oak doors oiled downstairs with art deco look Fan shape with handles antique brass effect they look fab

isseywith4vampirecats Thu 29-Oct-20 22:28:46

thats 1940s

minipie Fri 30-Oct-20 00:16:38

Brushed rather than shiny unless you want fingerprints everywhere.
I like brushed nickel personally.
We have round knobs on plain roses, but it’s a victorian house... I’m not sure what is 50s appropriate? Google suggests a rectangular back plate with lever or round knob.

Misty9 Sat 31-Oct-20 00:01:41

Thanks all. My partner got fed up with me talking about door knobs so we chose some tonight 😂 and I've gone for antique brass round knobs with roses. Hopefully they'll look good.

@isseywith4vampirecats your door furniture sounds fab!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in