Advanced search

Terraced house roof advice.

(4 Posts)
Honeyhoops Tue 27-Oct-20 17:04:30

Hoping someone can help with this. I own a victorian terraced cottage which has really bad damp in 2 rooms on the same side of the house.

I thought the damp was being caused by water coming through holes in the neighbours roof and because the mortar on the ridge and down the side needs replacing. I had a roofer out who confirmed this and advised it needs re rendering and the holes repairing on next doors roof. He asked if the rendering was my responsibility or the neighbour and I have no idea. Can anyone advise from the attached pics if they think the rendering (just along the side of the slates, not the ridge) is mine to do or the neighbours?

OP’s posts: |
Chumleymouse Tue 27-Oct-20 17:24:20

Those holes are the neighbours problem , but the render down the side should be replaced with lead to make a better water tight seal down there. I'd say to up either of you to fix , or both if you get on well.

ContraIndicated Tue 27-Oct-20 17:26:22

Technically it’s probably the neighbour’s, but unless it’s causing them problems the chances of them paying is low. Have you spoken to them about it?

Honeyhoops Tue 27-Oct-20 17:34:36

Thanks for the replies, I should have said my roof is to the right on the first pic and the left on the second.

The house is rented out and I've never spoken to the neighbour, the tenants said she's an elderly lady living alone and seems nice. I'll have to knock on and have a chat.

Tbh I'd assumed the render was mine to repair and quite happy to pay for the work but the roofer pointed out that unless the neighbour repairs her roof and the flashing around the chimney there'll still be water coming in.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in