Talk

Advanced search

How to avoid getting too attached (to a house)

(4 Posts)
InescapableDeath Sat 24-Oct-20 18:25:48

We've had an offer accepted on a house but the seller is only selling in order to buy a very specific house she's had her eye on for years. If her purchase falls through, she'll just stay where she is.

So I really shouldn't get too attached.

BUT it's taken weeks and weeks to find this one (which is tricky as we have our own buyer to keep happy) and I'm mentally beginning to move in even though we're right at the beginning of the process. ARGH. Must stop self to avoid disappointment. But how?

OP’s posts: |
cooperbug Sat 24-Oct-20 22:54:26

This happened to us in August. Had offer accepted on a forever home only for them to take it off the market a week later as they didn’t get the house they specifically put it in for (best and final offers).

We still haven’t found anything as nice and I’m still attached to it. So hard!

PointyMcguire Sun 25-Oct-20 10:30:58

Can you keep looking around?

We had a similar house we had our hearts set on, although it was part of a divorce settlement and it was a nightmare getting both parties to agree on anything so not quite the same. The whole process was making us miserable and after months of no real progress we decided enough was enough and started having a look at what else was around. It was amazing what a difference knowing there were other suitable houses out there made to us, and in the process we actually found one that not only fit the spec better, but was significantly under budget which we’ll hopefully be moving into in December grin

muckandnettles Sun 25-Oct-20 12:07:08

I know this feeling well, op, and it's so hard I know because you can't help but get attached if you really love the place. It has happened to me a few times, and the disappointment is huge if you aren't realistic about it. We ended up once moving into rented while we waited for some complicated court case to go through so we could buy the house we wanted, but in fact it all came to nothing. In retrospect that house would have not been right for us and we did end up with a great house but at the time our lives were dominated by the court case of this divorcing couple like @PointyMcguire, which was mad really. We now try to have a plan A and a plan B or C when we move house, so my advice is carry on looking at Right Move to find a second house that would be okay or consider renting if you have to rather than make a choice you aren't happy with. Our house is currently on the market but not sold, so we still have this to come (I hope!)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in