2 gang socket

(4 Posts)
Rupster Sun 18-Oct-20 09:38:14

I want to replace a 2 gang socket but the wall box (probably from the late 60s) has lugs at the top and bottom which prevent most sockets from fitting.

Can anyone recommend a brand of socket that will fit OK? Otherwise I'll have to change the wall box I guess or cut off the lugs?


OP’s posts: |
Soontobe60 Sun 18-Oct-20 09:46:28

For anything like this, I take photos then go to my local electrical supplier shop and ask them! Works every time! (Maybe also measure the socket)

tartanguru Sun 18-Oct-20 10:07:53

Sounds like you have the old MK sockets - I’ve just been swapping these out for new ones. Hopefully they kept the left and right lugs so you should just be able to pop out the top and bottom lugs in the back box with a flat screwdriver underneath them as they are just held in with little tabs. I then used the screwdriver and a hammer to flatten the tabs down so they don’t fowl the new socket. You might also need to buy some longer electrical screws (50mm) as I found the lugs to be a little further back than modern back boxes.

The main thing to be aware of is that your electrical installation is pretty old and it would be worth getting an electrical safety test done on it, as the late 60’s is when they swapped from rubber (which can break down and cause short circuits) to more modern PVC cabling. Our’s just needed a new consumer unit as the cabling was PVC and in perfect condition.

Rupster Mon 19-Oct-20 19:20:06


OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in