Talk

Advanced search

Composite decking - expensive quotes

(8 Posts)
Flapjak Tue 06-Oct-20 14:34:23

Thinking of having this done for a smallish area, maybe 4m x 4m , have worked out with a mid range product materials are 1.5k ish, however i seem to be getting quoted in the range of 4-5k to supply and fit. Is it really such a long and difficult job that this is normal price or am i just getting chancers as there is a lot of demand?

OP’s posts: |
Needallthesleep Tue 06-Oct-20 16:08:55

We have a larger area of composite decking, and it was fitted as part of a total garden overhaul (all ground taken up, levelled, turf put down, new shed, path put in, trees and plants planted etc. that all took 3ish weeks) which all cost £11k in total. Plus we are in SW London so pricier than the rest of the country in theory.

So yes your quote sounds huge.

It was a couple of years ago we had ours done, but I’m sure the decking was only a couple of days of labour.

Suzi888 Tue 06-Oct-20 16:12:26

We had a quote of £6k for a relatively small area- it’s elevated though- like a balcony I suppose.
In the end we ditched the idea and my husband did it himself but in a different area of the garden and it cost £700 for materials. We had some composite samples and I dropped a screw driver on it and it dented quite badly (i thought it was going to be tough!hmm) so in the end we just had the usual wood deck.

Hyperfish101 Tue 06-Oct-20 16:13:25

Ours was £3grand. More expensive that I thought it would be. It’s a reasonable sized area.

Flapjak Tue 06-Oct-20 18:27:23

3k sounds more reasonablish. I am so in the wrong job. I know all these trades cant be easy and there is a lot of unpaid expenses, like quotes , insurance etc but it does seem a lot of the time they are charging 500 a day at least regardless of what the job is!! Wish i was more handy with a hammer!

JoJoSM2 Tue 06-Oct-20 18:31:04

How’s the access to the garden and what’s there already? Sometimes, that makes a job labour intensive and a pain but the quote sounds expensive.

11k for a garden overhaul in SW London sounds exceptionally reasonable.

Flapjak Tue 06-Oct-20 21:26:56

Its a level garden, side access, patio / paving, so should be a straightforward job

Africa2go Tue 06-Oct-20 21:31:23

When you've estimated the cost, have you included the base, the facia boards, steps, screws etc? I think its probably not just the labour thats expensive, it's all the extras.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in