Talk

Advanced search

Patio doors

(4 Posts)
lentilsforlunch Tue 06-Oct-20 14:16:02

Hi we are hoping to replace our windows. Standard 90s estate type house not period so will be upvc.

My query is about replacing living room patio doors. We have sliders now which I like as I like to open frequently for a bit of fresh air. Plus maximum light. Patio is quite small.

When we replace them would you go with sliding patio or French? I said sliding to a rep and he tried to talk me out of it. Was he just trying to upsell? Are they considered outdated? Would sliders put you off buying a house?

OP’s posts: |
TheHighestSardine Tue 06-Oct-20 14:25:46

Sliding can be a maintenance pig if they go wrong at all, and only open half as far of course. Can't put a catflap in them. But they're seriously useful if the doorway doesn't have sane places to put hinged doors when they're open or clash while you're opening them - tight spaces or whatever.

I've had both, wouldn't be biased heavily on either side but I lean toward hinged if there's space.

NachoNachoMan Tue 06-Oct-20 14:39:45

It wouldn't put me off, neither would it make me more likely to buy a house, I don't think they're dated either.

I have French doors & would replace them with french doors if they needing replacing, but that's because I'm used to being able two doors to carry bigger stuff out. My in laws had sliding doors which they could open an inch for fresh air. Harder to do that with french doors which swing open.

Go for what will work for you and your family. I don't even think many people will consider the doors when the look at the house, if & when you come to sell.

lentilsforlunch Tue 06-Oct-20 20:41:26

Alas I can't have a cat but good point smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in