Talk

Advanced search

Living in / near Stratford-upon-Avon

(3 Posts)
Josey22 Fri 02-Oct-20 02:12:42

Hello, I'm new to Mumsnet. It's nice to meet you all. :-) I'm a British citizen moving back to the UK from California with my American husband and our 3.5 year old daughter. We're looking for a place to live near Stratford-upon-Avon, where we'll both be working. I know the area fairly well because my family lives there, but I'm looking for recommendations on areas to rent / primary schools / settling into the community, since we haven't lived in the UK for 11 years. We like to be able to walk to things, but we also need some outdoor space and quiet. Looking at Wilmcote / Tiddington / Stratford-on-Avon but open to any of the villages that have a store/ pub/ post office and good transport links. We've been living in the suburbs of N. California and are weary of driving everywhere for long distances on bad roads. It would be great to walk to things a lot, although we will have a car. Our daughter hasn't started school yet but I don't know a lot about preschools / primary schools in the area, beyond what I've researched online (any opinions on Bridgetown, Shottery or Wilmcote primary schools?). We're also a bit worried about being able to make friends and settle into the community. Any suggestions or opinions would be really helpful. Thanks for your help in advance! :-)

OP’s posts: |
LaNouba Sat 03-Oct-20 17:15:37

Hi, We moved to Stratford in 2014 and so happy we did. My children attend Alveston primary school which is in Tiddington and we’re so far very impressed. It’s half the size of Bridgetown so feels much more like a village school. Wilmcote and Shottery are smaller again and I’ve heard great things about them too! Wilmcote is further out so not an easy walk in to town if you’re planning on living near the school.
As far as villages to live I can’t fault Tiddington. There’s a selection of restaurants, shop/post office and fab local pub. The community spirit is wonderful. The walk in to Stratford is about 20 minutes but during the spring/summer months there’s a river boat taxi which runs from the Riverside Caravan Park.
Bridgetown as a place to live is an easy 10 minute walk to town and 5mins to the recreation ground play park. I’d probably avoid the newer estates Trinity Mead/Poppy meadow as there’s quite a bit of anti social behaviour (the same for all newer estates in Stratford) where a proportion is given to social housing- while there are lots of lovely people who are unable to buy so rely on social housing there’s been issues with local housing associations dumping ‘troubled’ families there.
I’d recommend joining the Stratford Upon Avon forum on Facebook - there’s a wealth of knowledge on there. Good luck!

Josey22 Wed 07-Oct-20 06:41:33

Thanks for all the info! :-)

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in