Talk

Advanced search

Rangemaster Oven Not Working

(18 Posts)
WineMaster Mon 28-Sep-20 21:45:22

Hello everyone.

Moved house on Friday and tried to use the oven tonight for the first time. It's a rangemaster, with a grill, a gas oven and a fan oven (which I guess is electric?).

Anyway, when you turn the dial to ignite the oven no sparks happen, but the hob starts to try and ignite constantly. And after 10 minutes on gas mark seven (we lit the gas with a lighter in the end), the oven had no real heat to it.

Any ideas? I can't tell you the model as there is no sticker where it should be. Please save us from a life of cheese sandwiches!

OP’s posts: |
Reviewsplease Tue 29-Sep-20 02:30:16

When I had a range master the ignition would try and fire the hobs as well as the ovens, we always turned the oven right up and then reduced the heat. Gas mark 7 should have a fair size flame at the back.

Is the electric oven and grill working?

Make sure you have a carbon monoxide monitor to help check for gas leaks.

Must admit I always swore by gas ovens (great for power cuts etc) but since getting electric I wouldnt go back!

Dnadoon Tue 29-Sep-20 02:37:44

Yes ignition sparks to light everything
Mine would only light while on gas mark 1

NomadNoMore Tue 29-Sep-20 02:52:32

Make sure the timer hasn't got a start and finish set. Got caught out a few times with this.

Howzaboutye Tue 29-Sep-20 02:57:11

Yes have a poke about with the clock and timer. It's quite temperamental. Bet that fixes it

Reviewsplease Tue 29-Sep-20 06:56:04

Oh yes. Ours would only work if the clock was set. Never used the timer but that would make sense

WineMaster Tue 29-Sep-20 07:34:39

Thanks everyone. The clock won't let me reset it - it's not showing auto but it is 16hrs and 6minutes ahead of the actual time. When I press the hand button nothing changes and I can't change the time displayed. I can't seem to switch it off at the wall either - possibly never been done and the switch is too stiff.

It sounds like it might be the timer at fault. We don't plan to keep the oven, but obviously need to be able to cook food until we can get a new kitchen fitted. I guess I need to call a service engineer given we know nothing about how to fix this?

DrIrisFenby Tue 29-Sep-20 07:38:31

Can you switch it off and on again at the main consumer unit if the switch is too stiff?

Bluntness100 Tue 29-Sep-20 07:40:52

I would switch all the power off. And then set the clock. They don’t work unless the clock is set. And there could be something there that’s causing the issue.

Then out it on low to ignite.

DrIrisFenby Tue 29-Sep-20 07:42:24

Also, having just had to shell out an inordinate amount of money to replace a range cooker, make sure you look at the prices of them before you redesign the kitchen. I could have had an entire wall of standard ovens for the same cost grin And I had to get the oven circuit rewired to cope with the added power requirements of new range ovens shock

WineMaster Tue 29-Sep-20 07:51:39

DrIrisFenby

Can you switch it off and on again at the main consumer unit if the switch is too stiff?

Excellent point. I've actually got an electrician round today so the whole circuit will be shit down briefly. The perfect opportunity!

WineMaster Tue 29-Sep-20 07:52:48

DrIrisFenby

Also, having just had to shell out an inordinate amount of money to replace a range cooker, make sure you look at the prices of them before you redesign the kitchen. I could have had an entire wall of standard ovens for the same cost grin And I had to get the oven circuit rewired to cope with the added power requirements of new range ovens shock

Oh yes. I had electric ovens in the wall at the old place, and an induction hob. I can put up with the gas for a few months, but for it not even to work! And we don't have a microwave yet because that was also in the beautiful wall...

VictoriaBun Tue 29-Sep-20 07:53:15

To set the clock you hold down the first two little round buttons whilst adjusting one of the last two buttons to go either backwards or forward time.
I have a rangemaster 90, which sounds like your one. Tbh I hate it , the gas oven part was always breaking down by thermometer sensor going so it would never heat up ( sounds like your problem ) we'd have it fixed only to go wrong again.
We now only use the smaller electric one , but the fan goes really noisy and sounds like it's going to blow up , we've just had that replaced . Can't wait to get rid of the bloody thing !

WineMaster Tue 29-Sep-20 08:21:22

@VictoriaBun None of my current oven trays fit in the fan oven!

WineMaster Tue 29-Sep-20 08:23:51

@VictoriaBun Amazing! I've set the clock! Thank you - the you tube video I watched showed a different way but yours was right.

So now the time is right but the oven still won't ignite. The spark is now coming from one of the hobs on the left rather than the wok hob...

CharlieTangoBanana Tue 29-Sep-20 08:38:46

Do contact your solicitor because you bought a kitchen appliance which you assumed was in good working order, there should be some redress for you. I bought a property which had two electric showers that didn't work and my solicitor was able to recover the cost of replacements along with some of the labour costs from the vendors.

WineMaster Tue 29-Sep-20 09:57:38

CharlieTangoBanana

Do contact your solicitor because you bought a kitchen appliance which you assumed was in good working order, there should be some redress for you. I bought a property which had two electric showers that didn't work and my solicitor was able to recover the cost of replacements along with some of the labour costs from the vendors.

The problems with that are 1) it's not going to mean I can go back in time and cook last night's dinner - it will take longer to resolve through that channel, 2) as I don't yet know what the problem is it's difficult to say if she's responsible or not - I've read the igniters can be damaged by cleaning products so it may have been accidental and unknown in the last day or so, and 3) there may be no actual financial impact to us - if it's something simple then I'd rather get it fixed and move on.

Worth saying that the dishwasher doesn't work either, but that's a £25 spare part already coming in the post...

VictoriaBun Tue 29-Sep-20 19:53:27

Glad I could be of assistance . Yes it's a pain with regard to the electric oven being so small, we've been cooking with only that for over a year 😢

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in