Advanced search

Laminate worktop repair

(8 Posts)
wannadooo123 Mon 28-Sep-20 09:39:24

Help! Our Ikea laminate worktop got damaged (see pics). Does anyone know what I can do? Will I need to replace the whole section? THANK YOU!

OP’s posts: |
Saz12 Mon 28-Sep-20 12:14:47


You could try and patch it up by filling the gouge with wood filler then carefully gluing on edging strip. It would still be visible and be tricky to do (assuming you can get worktop edging strip anymore!

PigletJohn Mon 28-Sep-20 13:52:40

buy a new piece of laminate and replace the damaged piece. I think your might bve called Black Sparkle.

It is always easier if the kithen was assembled with this in mind, since the fixing screws will be accessible from underneath.

It is easier with a rectangular piece. A carpenter can cut and fit it. Some suppliers may cut you rectangles. Shopfitter suppliers may cut to order.

There are not very many laminate factories in Europe so very likely you can get a matching piece of worktop. The laminate is a plastic product which is moulded onto chipboard in a factory. If you want, you can buy just the laminate and glue it onto a worktop.

Try the DIY sheds first, they usually keep a limited range of popular finishes at modest prices.

If not, have a look at a manufacturer's website (you can usually get free samples) such as Egger or formica who will probably send you samples free (retailers usually charge) and then look for a local laminate supplier (there will be one, probably round the back of an industrial estate)

If you want to pay the highest possible price, go to a fashionable kitchen fitting company (who will order it from one of the sources I mentioned)

PigletJohn Mon 28-Sep-20 14:02:20

Might be "black granite"

PigletJohn Mon 28-Sep-20 14:07:47

one of these?

wannadooo123 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:19:55

Thanks all for the helpful replies. It is this actual worktop from Ikea, it's inexpensive and still available:

I have tried a couple of specialist worktop repair companies (who fill and paint the damaged area), the cheapest quote was £240. I am thinking it would be cheaper to replace the whole section.

I've checked and there are screws underneath, but I think refitting it is beyond my skillset, it is part of an L shaped kitchen section and this piece is not quite a rectangle, there are various drawers and cupboards underneath and a carousel.

OP’s posts: |
PigletJohn Mon 28-Sep-20 14:27:33

Looks very good value. See if you can find a carpenter by personal recommendation from someone you know and trust.

Adverts from websites where people pay to be listed are not personal recommendations.

wannadooo123 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:36:08

Thank you so much for the advice, this is what we are now looking at doing.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in