Advanced search

Does a narrow waste for a sink exist??

(12 Posts)
Acornacorn Sun 27-Sep-20 08:52:14

We’re having our utility room refitted. We have a wall that is 195cm wide which is where we want the washing machine, tumble drier and an under counter freezer to go. Together they’re 180cm. Ideally we’d like to have a counter-too sink installed too but is that unrealistic given the space we have available? Do narrow sink waste systems exist? If we have the appliances right up against one another, will this be problematic?? This is the only potential suitable location as the other walls have doors on or the space is too shallow. TIA!

OP’s posts: |
GreyishDays Sun 27-Sep-20 08:55:32

I think chrome ones are narrower. Some of them look less than 15cm but I couldn’t say for sure.

didireallysaythat Sun 27-Sep-20 09:56:10

Have you stacked the tumble on top of the washing machine?.

NachoNachoMan Sun 27-Sep-20 09:56:30

Could you stack your washer and dryer instead, and put a cupboard in the space? Yes you'll lose some worktop space but you'll gain storage too

Acornacorn Sun 27-Sep-20 10:06:49

Thanks for the suggestion. That might be the solution if we can’t do our preferred layout. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
PigletJohn Sun 27-Sep-20 10:19:59

I don't understand what you mean. Draw a picture please.

Acornacorn Sun 27-Sep-20 13:55:55

Thanks @PigletJohn.
Here’s a crude drawing which I hope is clearer.

OP’s posts: |
PigletJohn Sun 27-Sep-20 14:11:49

Oh right.

If the trap is plumbed to run front to back (not side to side) it will fit. A U-shaped trap is narrower than a bottle, and less likely to clog with sludge.

You will however also have some pipes, and valves for the washer.

PigletJohn Sun 27-Sep-20 14:18:50

You might benefit from a deeper worktop, so the pipes can run behind the appliances. Have at least one appliance that pulls out so you can get at the plumbing. And perhaps a pillar (not a panel) to support the worktop. Take off the skirting boards at both sides.

Acornacorn Sun 27-Sep-20 16:27:33

Thank you @PigletJohn. Much appreciated advice!

OP’s posts: |
minipie Tue 29-Sep-20 00:48:51

As an alternative you could consider stacked w/m and t/d and then install an under counter sink with a built in lid (I have this). That way the sink doubles as worktop space.

We have a 15cm gap at the end of our utility run - it’s perfect for sliding the ironing board into.

minipie Tue 29-Sep-20 00:54:53

Also don’t forget you may not be able to use the entire 195cm if you need a gap at either end. Reasons you might need a filler panel:

- you’re putting a door on the freezer (ie it’s integrated) and you want to have a handle on the door
- you need to be able to open the freezer door more than 90 degrees to pull drawers out
- tumble dryer opens to the right and you want to be able to swing its door fully open
- you have a door near to the freezer or the tumble dryer and you don’t want the freezer or dryer door to bash into the architrave of your door

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in