Flooring for through lounge/diner

(8 Posts)
Misty9 Wed 16-Sep-20 16:41:53

Renovating a 1950s ex LA semi and there's a large through lounge/diner, currently carpeted. It will have to function as a dining area and we do sit at a table for meals, so carpet doesn't seem like the best option? I've checked underneath and it appears to be very old vinyl tiles on concrete.

Any advice or suggestions?! I can't afford wood really. The hallway is quarry tiled and the conservatory is white tiles, both attached to the lounge area. Are wood effect tiles any good?

OP’s posts: |
JoJoSM2 Wed 16-Sep-20 16:49:55

What’s the subfloor? Perhaps there are floorboards to sand down? You could also get laminate flooring that imitates wood or ‘luxury’ vinyl but I think it might be just as pricey as real wood.

Misty9 Wed 16-Sep-20 16:59:37

JoJoSM2

What’s the subfloor? Perhaps there are floorboards to sand down? You could also get laminate flooring that imitates wood or ‘luxury’ vinyl but I think it might be just as pricey as real wood.

Do you mean under the concrete??

Misty9 Fri 18-Sep-20 08:09:11

Hopeful bump. I'm now considering LVT...

NWnature Fri 18-Sep-20 09:11:03

www.builderdepot.co.uk/20-x-191mm-oak-brushed-and-oiled-t-g-engineered-wood-flooring

We just ordered this for our downstairs flooring on the recommendation of our architect. Ours is going in the hallway, formal living room and throughout the kitchen/diner extension.

Choosing flooring is SO stressful - I feel for you!

My preference was for real wood because even if it does scratch/age I think it looks nicer than when LVT begins to go. We have amtico wooden flooring in our flat which began to warp and chip in corners after about 3-4 years.

HBGKC Fri 18-Sep-20 12:33:44

I'm researching flooring at the moment too, and nice (in my opinion) LVT seems to cost a lot more than engineered wood!

FAQs Fri 18-Sep-20 12:36:05

If it’s really old vinyl flooring it might contains asbestos.

Advertisement

Fennelandlovage Fri 18-Sep-20 12:39:11

We did an identical renovation in the past and sued engineered wood. Not the cheapest but looks great.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in