Renovations with the risk of a second wave

(6 Posts)
Justcallmebabs Tue 08-Sep-20 22:49:57

We are planning on starting a 6 month renovation project which will rip our house apart. Had tried to start earlier this year but it was delayed with Covid. Our builders are now saying October/November but I am worried about starting the project with the threat of a second wave. We are moving in with family but it won’t be ideal.

Added complications are that we are nurses (me, husband) so risk of exposure between household. But also we are TTC baby 2 and the thought of being at relative house heavily pregnant or prepping for a birth is a little stressful and I can’t see us being able to move in with 2 children so it feels like time is of the essence Of course, am grateful we are in the position to renovate and to have family as an option etc etc. and I know TTC might take a long time. Just think with new restrictions announced tonight in England, it feels like the 2nd wave is nigh....

OP’s posts: |
FollowingAmirage Wed 09-Sep-20 00:08:45

I would say everything is taking longer with COVID unfortunately. Does the 6 months allow for any buffer in case of a second wave or is that assuming all will go smoothly and to plan? We are yet to finish a kitchen/diner knock through (+complete reno of kitchen) it should have taken 4 weeks we are now close to 2 months in...I personally wouldn’t start a major project now, perhaps in the new year when things are clearer?

GrumpyHoonMain Wed 09-Sep-20 00:12:11

We have a similar project and were advised by the architect and builder to delay into the new year.

KoalasandRabbit Wed 09-Sep-20 00:57:49

We were doing / about to do renovations on two houses when first lockdown hit.

Old house we weren't allowed down to until house moves allowed so that got put on hold totally for a few months.

Current house is grade 2 listed thatched, was due a new thatched roof needed urgently and a specialist chimney rebuilt, requiring planning / listed building consents. The council went dead, even more dead than normal and took ages to get replies, eventually got approval. Then found thatcher was working at 20% capacity, brick company had shut down for 3 months as had specialist mortar company. Then suddenly it all reopened and got permission so its been flat out to get all complete before another lockdown.

It's just really do things when you can but be aware things can lockdown with little notice so be careful on order if you are living there or say your house could end up with half a roof. I think businesses may be more reluctant to voluntarily close in a second lockdown as not economically viable but anything like planning could go very slowly. Also restrictions may come in banning work again. Could you do it say one room at a time. I would say mid winter is very high risk short of a vaccine and summer lower risk. We are lucky thatch and chimney and all work on old house now done but a sale could well be held up / made impossible if surveyors can't survey, can at the moment with delays. Its just a case of doing what you can when you can.

WoolyMammoth55 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:06:23

We went for it - started digging foundations in Feb (IIRC?) and then were about to move out for uninhabitable phase when lockdown hit and so we delayed.

Moved out in June and we are about a month behind schedule but still looking good to get it done!

Most of the delays were Covid-related - sourcing and supply chain issues. My builders actually are really concerned that Brexit supply chain effects will be considerably worse than Covid disruption and they are advising clients to push projects due to start in the new year to see how bad the impacts are.

So this may well not be the best 6 months to crack on... But having said that none of us have a crystal ball.

I was TTC number 2 also and am due in January and really glad we got the works done ahead of time, so I fully understand your concerns about that too! Wish you all the best of luck <3

SecretOfChange Wed 09-Sep-20 19:41:55

I would go for it. There's never a convenient time. After you meet your baby number 2 is hardly going to be any easier. Lockdown and second wave is out of your control so I wouldn't waste energy worrying about it unless it means your family won't let you stay with them if that happens. I suspect that if you already live in one house then any formal rules won't instruct you to move away, it's just your own perception of risk that matters.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in