Teak furniture

(8 Posts)
CurlyStrawsRock Tue 08-Sep-20 17:50:50

Has anyone bought teak furniture? I’ve found a teak tv stand I love but it’s raw teak so unsure of how to best look after it or if we need to treat the wood?

OP’s posts: |
WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat Wed 09-Sep-20 08:38:31

You may not need to do anything as teak has a natural oil, although there is a product called 'teak oil' which can be used but may be unnecessary.

CurlyStrawsRock Wed 09-Sep-20 09:04:24

Thanks @WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat that’s good to know! We do really like this tv stand after looking at billions of them online and in shops haha!

8catsisnotunreasonable Thu 10-Sep-20 07:17:16

Hi @CurlyStrawsRock, definitely get some teak oil! Our house is Scandi/60's styled and full of teak, so I speak from experience 🤣 You won't need to oil it often, once or twice a year possibly, but central heating is terrible for drying teak out. Don't use polish on it or wax - wax will turn it a darker colour and possibly make it patchy ☹️Enjoy your teak 👍🏼

CurlyStrawsRock Thu 10-Sep-20 07:20:43

Thanks @8catsisnotunreasonable will the oil change the colour of the teak?

8catsisnotunreasonable Sat 12-Sep-20 11:23:39

Sorry, didn't spot your response! No, it just feeds the wood and brings out the natural colours in it. It also disguised little scratches....

themummyway Sun 13-Sep-20 18:24:42

I'm looking for some reasonably priced teak furniture... any suggestions? x

Advertisement

8catsisnotunreasonable Thu 17-Sep-20 09:55:50

@themummyway , depending on your style, vintage is incredibly good value in some parts of the country. I'm not sure about modern, hopefully OP can advise you about sources?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in