Outdoor lights

(7 Posts)
Sooverthemill Tue 08-Sep-20 11:28:59

Any suggestions for outdoor lights that have a motion sensor? I'm so confused looking at the options. I'd like brass but the ones I have seen that I like don't include a motion sensor so would have to use a sensor bulb. Any experience of this? We live in a small square with no street lighting so a light that comes on when people come to the door at night would be good

OP’s posts: |
PaulaSmith1 Tue 08-Sep-20 11:51:29

You could have a separate motion detector switch. Like this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Detector-Security-110-220V-Corridor/dp/B07TX5BTLF/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&rnid=118657031&s=diy&keywords=outdoor&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1599562230&refinements=p_36%3A500-2500&sr=1-6

Sooverthemill Wed 09-Sep-20 11:54:43

@PaulaSmith1 sorry fir delay. So is that a separate unit that gets wired in? I’ve looked but it’s not clear from description. My electrician is back next week

Bluntness100 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:57:18

My electrician just supplied the lights himself, I’d ask him or her.

Sooverthemill Wed 09-Sep-20 12:21:33

Yes. My electrician doesn't supply lights I like! I have horrible ones (IMO) installed by developer 15 years ago and I want something a little more stylish. It's all personal preference

LBOCS2 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:40:50

You've got a couple of options - you can have a separate motion sensor which you wire in which will activate the lights. Or you can get a sensor bulb. Or a sensor light.

The cheapest option will probably be the bulb, followed by the sensor lights, followed by the separate PIR sensor. The PIR sensor will give you more options in terms of light fittings as you can pretty much use them with anything; the other two will have limitations - there are fewer fittings with inbuilt sensors and you'll be limited to fittings which take a sensor bulb if you just choose to use that.

Sooverthemill Wed 09-Sep-20 13:52:46

@LBOCS2 thank you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in