Osmo oil failure

(12 Posts)
Mrsladybirdface Mon 07-Sep-20 21:39:34

hi all,

I had wooden work tops put in last year and had them professionally done with osmo oil and it just isn't working! I have had wooden work tops previously and I have never had an issue with grease stains but these are just covered.

I want to redo with Woca oil (which I have used previously) it is a wax oil type like osmo. Can I just sand a apply or do I need to strip the wood?(which I think might be beyond my skills!)

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
NotMeNoNo Mon 07-Sep-20 22:26:18

What kind of wood and which Osmo product? I think Osmo UK will advise on problems over the phone.

I've heard of difficulties applying It too thickly and it not drying properly but that would have been obvious at the start.

Mrsladybirdface Tue 08-Sep-20 07:11:50

Thanks for the reply.

It was Oak and their worktop top oil. Looked great for a few weeks confused

NotMeNoNo Tue 08-Sep-20 10:50:12

I suggest give Osmo a call. Or check with people you got the worktop from, In case they have come across the problem. Does the wood feel "bare" or dry as if the oil has soaked in, does water bead on it still? Is it literally grease marking it e.g olive oil?

AltheaVestr1t Wed 09-Sep-20 08:16:37

I had a similar experience and it turns out that the second time I purchased, I'd bought the wrong oil by mistake. Osmo make two very similar products, one 'clear' and one 'natural'. The initial 'clear' oil I used worked wonderfully, but the second 'natural' has a white pigment and came out very patchy. Check which kind you are using.

Muddyinthesticks Wed 09-Sep-20 12:47:05

I suspect it wasn’t applied correctly. I’ve used Osmo oil on oak, both internally and externally. The finish on my kitchen worktops looks stunning and appears to repel stains and water. It was only done a couple of weeks ago though. The external Osmo oil with UPV protection does have a slightly “milky” appearance in certain lights as mentioned by previous poster. I would contact Osmo for their recommendations. Personally, would also ensure it is all sanded off and redone.

NotMeNoNo Wed 09-Sep-20 14:21:14

Are you 100% sure they used Osmo oil? What was their response when you told them the worktop was getting stained after a few weeks? I think you deserve some after sales service here. It doesn't sound like a very professional job.

Advertisement

Mrsladybirdface Wed 09-Sep-20 14:31:28

Thanks everyone, it was the top oil natural. It was a beautiful colour, no problem with that, it is just the grease stains. I'll contact them but I have really lost faith tbh.

I really want to go back to using Woca oil because I know that works, even though it doesn't have such a nice natural colour

Mrsladybirdface Wed 09-Sep-20 14:32:41

also, was definitely applied correctly by experienced and trusted carpenter

NotMeNoNo Wed 09-Sep-20 14:44:21

Sounds like you have done everything you can, but they might be able to advise whether full stripping of the finish is needed anyway.

Mrsladybirdface Wed 09-Sep-20 14:48:55

I've even tried their maintanece oil, which is meant to rub out grease stains..no such luck!

NotMeNoNo Thu 10-Sep-20 07:15:55

Definitely grease stains not blackening/water/metal stains? Oxalic acid is meant to work on oak.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in