Removals

(8 Posts)
Shelley54 Sun 06-Sep-20 09:29:25

Could be moving in the next few weeks. (Chain finalising search results, mortgage offers all in place, someone in the chain is eager to get things progressing now) Have had quotes for removals and picked a local company who will be doing our packing for us.

I'd love to be thinning out what we move but realistically there's just not the time in the day at the moment due to other commitments.

Am I alone in thinking it will be ok? A couple of days before the move I'll pack some stuff to take in the car to see us through the first couple of days, and the removal company will deal with the rest?

My parents think I'm nuts - they'd have been packing for weeks by now.

OP’s posts: |
Charleyhorses Sun 06-Sep-20 09:33:38

If the removal company are packing you need to literally do nothing. They do it all.
I must admit our last move was the first one in 15 years so I had to do a massive chuck out. But if you haven't got time, just take it and do it later.
Middle ground is to put stuff that is questionable in one room and get them to mark the boxes. If you haven't opened it 6 months later take it to the tip.

Shelley54 Sun 06-Sep-20 09:48:25

Thanks @Charleyhorses - this was exactly what I was hoping to hear. We've been here a decade so lots of stuff we don't need but how do you get rid of kids toys when the kids are around for example? Hoping that we can get through some of it once in the new house and the kids are out the house!

ineedaholidaynow Sun 06-Sep-20 09:57:13

They literally pack everything. Put what you need in the day in the car or an area where you tell them not to pack, including the hoover if you want to tidy up afterwards. Remember to empty your bins otherwise your rubbish gets packed!

Are they packing your loft, not all do?

We used packers when my DM moved, they are like a team of locusts. It’s amazing how quickly they can pack a house. My DM pointed out the fragile ornaments or which one had the most sentimental value and they put extra packing material with them (they packed everything else carefully as well, but took extra care with these items)

ineedaholidaynow Sun 06-Sep-20 10:00:13

We put post it notes on things that needed to stay (DM was renting so didn’t want to take anything that belonged to the house). Still ended up with part of the doorbell and one of her recycling bins coming with her!

Shelley54 Sun 06-Sep-20 10:28:41

Phew! What a relief these messages are!

@ineedaholidaynow Yes they're bringing everything down from the loft, it was one of my questions!

ineedaholidaynow Sun 06-Sep-20 10:33:25

I remember a poster on a similar thread saying when her DM moved she was wearing slippers whilst the packers were in the house and then went to put on her shoes when it was time to leave and they had all been packed!

Advertisement

Anawi Sun 06-Sep-20 11:55:31

Oh yes don't panic, we have moved a lot, the two moves that were the least stressful on actual moving day were moves to and from New Zealand because we paid packers to do everything. A swarm of locusts sounds about right, we felt like total spare parts and stood watching with a cuppa I think (offered them one, nope too busy!) Definitely keep anything you dobt want boxing up in the car or in one area they know not to touch or it will be packed before you can blink!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in