Relocating to Maidstone

(7 Posts)
YanaBanana Wed 02-Sep-20 22:34:40

Dear mums!
I know there is already such topic but it is backdated to 2012 so I thought, I ask for your opinion/recommendations on the life in Maidstone.
We are looking to relocate and have chosen Maidstone as it is a city of a good size and has a reputation for good schools.
I am a little confused because the areas which count as good (Penenden Heath, Allington, Bearsted) do not necessary have outstanding schools.
We have now looked at some properties in Barming - the part towards Allington, just opposite Maidstone hospital on Queen’s Road. How is the area there?
Our son is 2 and we would like to avoid any rough areas.
Anyone’s kids going to St Francis school? We’ve heard positive feedback but would like to hear personal experience really.
Any information will be highly appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
JoJoSM2 Wed 02-Sep-20 22:41:02

Zero personal experience. However, have a look at the website below for further info on schools. Ofsted reports can be a few years old and there will be lots of stats that are more helpful.

www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/find-a-school-in-england

Flowerpot26 Wed 02-Sep-20 22:59:01

The road that the hospital is on with the new houses opposite, I find is always busy somtimes takes ages to get to the hosp from coming off the motorway! Though there is a good cattery further down on the road that I would recommend if that was any use, its just that road is so long and clogged up, but great if you worked at the hospital.

YanaBanana Wed 02-Sep-20 23:04:22

Thank you JoJoSM2, very helpful indeed.

YanaBanana Wed 02-Sep-20 23:08:08

Thank you so much for your comment Flowerpot26.
The house we consider is in a little closed street off the main road.
Traffic is not my main worry but do you know if thea is good to live for families, e.g. low crime, etc. Which areas would you recommend?

Flowerpot26 Wed 02-Sep-20 23:20:02

Have you looked at leybourne chase? Seems lovely around there, I don't know anything about the schools there as my little one is pre school, some rough and fab parts of any where, I think abit further out, leybourne, Ditton , yalding is beautiful!! Borough green is also recommended

Rumblebear Thu 03-Sep-20 11:37:02

Do you need to be in the town? We live just outside, in the Weald and some of the smaller villages are lovely, with good schools per last Ofsted (we'll be applying this year for primary) and then the grammars in Maidstone are meant to be very good for secondary.

I admit, I don't go into Maidstone centre much but its got a good park (Mote), good facilities (cinema and leisure complex) and choice for things like supermarkets. The train line into London I didn't think was that great actually (not sure, our village is on the other trainline going into Charing Cross via Tonbridge) but that may be less important going forward anyway.

Our village is also close enough to T Wells and we mostly drive there if we want to pop to cafes/do shopping etc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in