Inward or outward opening door?

(4 Posts)
Lucky44 Tue 01-Sep-20 09:30:21

I’m replacing the last wooden window in my home with a single glazed door, half glazed side panels (keep some of the wall) and fan lights. Not sure whether the door should open outwards or inwards Picture of window attached. If it opens outwards to the right it will open against the wall, more space on other side towards the fence. Inward opening obvs takes up room space

OP’s posts: |
senua Tue 01-Sep-20 10:20:51

I'm no expert on these things but ...
if you look at a door then the hinges are on the side of the direction of swing. Thus external doors usually swing inwards because it means that hinges are on the inside - this is better for security and also means that the hinges aren't exposed to the elements. Having said that, my conservatory doors swing outwards so such things are possible.
I can see your logic for having the door swing open to the blank wall, it makes sense. You could fit a catch on the wall to hold the door to stop it swinging in the wind and also to stop the handle bashing into the wall.

lazyakita Tue 01-Sep-20 10:29:41

We have our back door opening outwards. The main reason was space, as the old one opened in and made the entrance feel really tight. So it definitely can be done.

WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat Tue 01-Sep-20 11:03:06

Outward opening doors can be more secure because trying to force a door open be pulling it is much more difficult than pushing it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in