Kitchen/diner renovation costs

(17 Posts)
jaffacakesareabiscuit Sun 30-Aug-20 13:37:28

Hi, we have found a house that ticks a lot of boxes (yay!) but we would ideally like to knock through between the kitchen and dining room and create a larger space that flows through to the sun room.

I've attached the floor plan. Has anyone got a similar layout? Roughly what costs are involved? I assume we would need a supporting steel put in which I know costs a fair bit! Would also be redesigning the kitchen but would go for mid range units and appliances, and new flooring.

Just need to work our rough costs so we can adjust our offer accordingly! Many thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
jaffacakesareabiscuit Sun 30-Aug-20 13:38:38

Sorry! Forgot the floor plan blush

Lazypuppy Sun 30-Aug-20 13:40:33

We knocked through the wall between our dining room and kitchen, and had the steel support put in, cost £1k i think.

We redid the kitchen at the same time and spent £7k.

Unless the work needs doing, you may jot be able to offer less just cause you want to do it, so be aware they may reject your offer

jaffacakesareabiscuit Sun 30-Aug-20 13:58:19

Thanks @Lazypuppy. That's not as bad as I thought! I suppose there's a large spectrum though.

Yeah I'm aware they may not accept our offer. I don't intend on dropping it much but the house hasn't been touched in 20 years in terms of decoration and it is priced higher than more modern similar houses nearby so I feel it's a little overpriced as it stands.

Olayolay Sun 30-Aug-20 14:08:10

The work to knock the wall down, get the steel RSJ designed to support the load, installation and making good plus new skirting boards certainly is not £1000. The design and steel alone will cost that.

I would get rid of the sun room. My first job would be to think how this can be incorporated as a proper room into the kitchen/dining area. I would actually put the kitchen there. I would use the current kitchen area as a study/dining/computer area.

I have my kitchen in a large oak framed conservatory but it’s a proper building and not a temporary cheap sun room which cannot be used in the winter.

I wouldn’t do anything before looking at how this whole area could be opened up and used more effectively.

jaffacakesareabiscuit Sun 30-Aug-20 15:50:33

Interesting thoughts @Olayolay, but I really don't think we would need to do that much to make the house liveable for us.

The current kitchen is fine but small and old fashioned and I would just like to open the space up a bit. We like the sun room (more solid walls than a conservatory, just lots of windows too) and would potentially look to add a multi fuel stove if possible to make it habitable year round.

How do you go about getting a job like this priced? Individual tradesmen or a company? We currently live in a new build so have absolutely no experience of building or renovation work!

Olayolay Sun 30-Aug-20 16:08:22

I can see if would be ok but it wouldn’t be great in my view. You would be looking through a room to the outside garden, which, in my opinion, is a nuisance. You could take the outside wall down and open up to the sun room. Free standing stoves get hot and need a chimney. I would get this room habitable or it’s more of a no go area in winter. I’m not convinced a stove is the way to go on a mostly glass extension. Underfloor heating would be better and less glass.

However I’m sure others will disagree but I would save and make the alterations count and add value. Anything less and you’ve thrown money away.

Advertisement

Olayolay Sun 30-Aug-20 16:10:39

A builder could price for you. They should know a structural engineer for calcs for beams. They must also know how to install them and prop the 1st floor whilst the wall is removed to be safe. Getting separate trades yourself is a faff and subject to coordination. Can be difficult to juggle.

Lazypuppy Sun 30-Aug-20 17:09:17

@Olayolay

The work to knock the wall down, get the steel RSJ designed to support the load, installation and making good plus new skirting boards certainly is not £1000. The design and steel alone will cost that.

Well it was actually for us, it actually came in at £960. Not sure why you think i'd lie about it confused

BeeyatchPlease Sun 30-Aug-20 17:52:03

MIL gutted her new house and did exactly this, almost the exact same layout as well.
She knocked through kitchen into the dining room and then tore down the sunroom and replaced with a properly structured extension.
Knocking through the wall for hers didn't require a steel beam but it's all dependent on whether or not the wall is a supporting one.
The cost of knocking through, plastering, new flooring and new kitchen cost £20,000. It looks amazing but she did go rather high spec so I'm sure it could be done for less money.

bouncydog Sun 30-Aug-20 19:16:19

We did this except our sun room was where your dining room is and vice versa. We knocked down the wall between kitchen and what was our sun room, put in an rsj, replaced all of the glass in the sun room with thermal glass and installed underfloor heating. Also all walls replastered and updated electrics. For the work excluding the kitchen we spent c£20k which although a lot was money well spent. Depending on what you do I would think up to £10k but it depends on sizes, engineers spec etc.

FollowingAmirage Sun 30-Aug-20 21:56:09

We have just done the same, different layout, the wall turned up to be non-supporting so we didn’t need a steel beam. Replastering, rewiring the kitchen, decorating, reporposing current kitchen, adding internal door to garage, wall tile and flooring, moving gas for cooker and rerouting the radiator...it costed around 12K with all the above. We are in the S east. It is so worth it though...I will post a couple of before after pics...

FollowingAmirage Sun 30-Aug-20 21:57:25

Kitchen and dining room before

FollowingAmirage Sun 30-Aug-20 21:59:41

This is now, still unfinished but loads more space as you can see...

FollowingAmirage Sun 30-Aug-20 22:00:14

Sorry here is now...

SingingWaffleDoggy Sun 30-Aug-20 22:08:04

Knocked down a wall, installed supporting beam, new ceiling, associated plastering for wall and ceiling, put in new kitchen (Wickes), new wiring for cooker and lighting, LVT flooring and came in at approx 10k.
Local independent builder who has carpenters/ electricians/ plumbers he works with regularly so he coordinated trades but I did the choosing of fittings, flooring, lighting etc and the running of errands

jaffacakesareabiscuit Mon 31-Aug-20 08:57:42

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful!

@FollowingAmirage your kitchen looks so spacious now! It'll be fab when it's all finished.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in