Talk

Advanced search

Anyone live in Selby? Flooding concerns

(6 Posts)
Ginjanotaninja Sat 29-Aug-20 09:26:39

Is there a real flood risk in Selby?

I have seen a property I like in Staynor Hall. When I flood check on the government website, comes up with low or very low risk of flooding, however If I check the council plans it show as being on a flood plain and at risk of flooding. I am conflicted and I don’t know what to do. Help?

OP’s posts: |
latticechaos Sat 29-Aug-20 09:27:38

Ginjanotaninja

Is there a real flood risk in Selby?

I have seen a property I like in Staynor Hall. When I flood check on the government website, comes up with low or very low risk of flooding, however If I check the council plans it show as being on a flood plain and at risk of flooding. I am conflicted and I don’t know what to do. Help?

Well I don't know the area but I would not ignore a council map showing it on a flood plain!

Thingsthatgo Sat 29-Aug-20 09:30:30

It is possible that it is in a flood plain, but the environment agency have put up flood defences. You could try emailing the local environment agency to find out.

ClashCityRocker Sat 29-Aug-20 09:47:21

I don't live in Selby but have friends that do (including Staynor).

Irrc most is classed as flood plains but never actually floods.

Certainly I don't think Staynor has ever flooded. I can ask if you want.

Claired821 Thu 10-Sep-20 18:34:32

Unfortunately the council map is correct staynor hall development was build on a flood plain and there were a lot of objections to the houses being build from local residents for exactly that reason however i don’t believe it has flooded there since the 1940s which maybe why the environment agency deem at as low risk. I lived on the abbots road estate before I moved 3 years ago and where my house was that was also built on marsh/ flood land, the main issue we had was some insurance companies would not insure us as they classed the area as at risk of flooding yet like staynor hall it hadn’t flooded there since the 1940s before houses were built.

Claired821 Thu 10-Sep-20 18:36:02

Also there is a flood risk in Selby it has several times came very close to topping the flood defences.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in