"Fireplace"; on the cheap!

(12 Posts)
SofaSurfette Fri 28-Aug-20 20:41:39

I haven't got a fireplace and I would very much like one, but haven't got a lot to spend (maybe £300). My house is modern but a bit cottagey, and I like classic/traditional styles. I've been thinking of a free standing electric suite like the one in the picture, but would it be naff? I have also seen DIY faux fireplaces on Pinterest, but I don't have an artistic bone in my body and I know that would look rubbish if I attempted it! Is there any point at all if I can't afford a proper fire (I won't be able to for the foreseeable future). Not bothered about actual flames, heat or light, I just want a welcoming and attractive focal point for my living room. Someone please inspire me!

OP’s posts: |
countdowntonap Fri 28-Aug-20 20:42:27

Following as I’m looking at gas suites at the moment.

BlenheimOrange Fri 28-Aug-20 20:53:34

Hmm, I think the electric ones are a little bit naff, prefer gas-coal still naffer than wood as at least it has actual flames. We have gas coal though in an original fireplace which helps. But if it makes you happy and keeps you warm what’s not to like!

If you just want focal point not warmth/flames I’d be tempted to just get a surround like eg www.diy.com/departments/be-modern-deltona-almond-stone-fire-surround/211664_BQ.prd?ds_rl=1272379&ds_rl=1272409&ds_rl=1272379&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1qL6BRCmARIsADV9JtaiVKKgoJ1u-Tw6ffYcCvHevCce4icgoNbVFsPdb7jCJFd5wc97S4EaAkABEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Put a black coloured board behind the gap, and fill the hearth with some church candles, or logs or a basket of dried flowers but I know that’s a bit naff too

Thecazelets Fri 28-Aug-20 21:13:32

I totally understand the urge, but I think the fake ones always end up looking a bit naff or obvious. If you don't need the heat from it you could have a stylish console table or sideboard in the space instead with a picture or mirror above to give a similar sort of focal point and feel as a fireplace would. Some examples in the sort of thing I mean in the link www.elledecor.com/design-decorate/room-ideas/g28690675/console-table-styling-ideas/

SecretOfChange Fri 28-Aug-20 21:14:52

If it's a 'reading' room I'd go for it, but if it's more of a TV or gaming room then I think fireplace is in conflict with the TV and I wouldn't bother.

We had these types of fireplaces in rented and if I'm honest we used them once or twice. I didn't feel that they looked naff it's just that they served no purpose and we forgot very quickly that they existed smile

JoJoSM2 Fri 28-Aug-20 21:17:01

I don’t love the fireplace in the photo. What’s the style of the house? I’m struggling to imagine sth modern and cottagey at the same time. Have you got any photos of your house or a similar one so we could see what surround would work?

SecretOfChange Fri 28-Aug-20 21:18:18

Some more ideas if you decide NOT to have the fake fireplace:
www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/427490189633731068/
www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/427490189633731061/

Advertisement

PigletJohn Fri 28-Aug-20 21:42:02

if you have no chimney, you are stuck with an electric thing. Or a fishtank?

There are some gas ones that can vent through the wall behind, if it is an external wall and does not vent onto your neighbour's property, but they have a glass front and are not convincing.

Flueless ones exist but have certain problems because they vent the steam and fumes into the room. Hardly any people or pets have been killed by them.

SofaSurfette Fri 28-Aug-20 21:55:05

Thanks everyone. My house is a lot like this on the outside:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72183543.html

But with a more country style kitchen, and cosy/rustic decor

OP’s posts: |
sbplanet Sat 29-Aug-20 10:11:11

Something using a (wooden) fire surround and tiles would look good - it doesn't have to look like a real fireplace because if there's no chimney breast it will be obvious anyway.
I think that as long as whatever you choose is well done then it will be a good focal point. Plus a fire surround will have a handy mantel piece. Here's just a pic from the Net. Just google something like 'country style fire surround' and look at the images selection.

sbplanet Sat 29-Aug-20 10:20:58

And if you didn't want to have the back 'wall' as all tiles you could paint a rectangular area black and put a metal tile edging in.

sbplanet Sat 29-Aug-20 10:22:05

Oh and I got my wooden fire surround cheap off ebay - the postman delivered it! Lol.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in