Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Berrylands/Surbiton

(3 Posts)
daisyjones03 Mon 24-Aug-20 19:22:23

Hello lovely people,

My partner and I have found a lovely property in Berrylands but, we are unfamiliar with the area and have not purchased a home before so want to make sure we do our research!

If anyone's got any thoughts on the area, we'd very much appreciate your comments and feedback. In particular, we've read online that Kingston University was planning to build a new development there, and other developers similarly have housing plans there. Does anyone know the status of any large current or planned construction works in the area?

We've also seen a fair bit of debate about the smell but a lot of what we've read is old or conflicting. We would be past Surbiton cemetery, in Minniedale. Does anyone have an idea of what the smell is like around there?

Many thanks in advance for any response!

OP’s posts: |
RedRumTheHorse Mon 24-Aug-20 22:10:35

If you had posted this a few weeks ago when the weather was hot I would have told you to visit.

I use to take the train to Surbiton passing through Berrylands and it would stink in summer. I actually avoid the area in summer due to the smell. I think the last time I passed through was about 5 years ago when there was a stench again.

Kingston Council has this on their website indicating it is still an issue - www.kingston.gov.uk/info/200261/pollution/809/hogsmill_sewage_treatment_works

I also found this from nearly 3 years ago - surbiton.com/forum/moving-berrylands

This from 2 years ago-
www.southeastriverstrust.org/hogsmill-hit-with-sewage-again/

And this -https://www.reddit.com/r/Surbiton/comments/hdvhjx/hogsmill_smell/

Can't help with new developments.

daisyjones03 Sun 30-Aug-20 09:14:06

@RedRumTheHorse thank you so much for your quick response!! Links were really helpful!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in